cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

wall intersections @ dormer

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have created a dormer but can't find a good way to get the 3 walls to intersect properly. there are only 3 walls and i'm sure you guys have experienced far more complex intersections than this one so hopefully there is a better way.

a screenshot of the problem is attached. i would like to find an optimal solution (so i don't want to just change the side material as this will just leave additional lines in elevations etc) as this is a problem i often come across.

i have a work around (attachment in next post) but it's not ideal. for a start it took a while to set up all the walls and the cutter and it makes editing anything a pain. also, the dormer side wall needs to be the same thickness as the front wall (in reality the walls are different) and finally, the interior of the dormers look a mess.

i must be going about this wrong as dormers, and 3 way intersections in general, are so very common so i'm pretty sure i'm just building them wrong.

TIA for any help

problem.gif
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
and here is my attempt...

creates unnecessary wall 'pieces' and the interior cuts look very messy and need to be covered up = additional time
Anonymous
Not applicable
and a similar issue i had on a different project - again, a relatively simple intersection but whatever i tried required cleanup either in Plan, Elevation or 3D.
Rick Thompson
Expert
It is a tricky situation. I split the wall to get the roof to cut it right. Maybe solid operations would do a better job, but I haven't played with it on a dormer. I do have walls split so I can show them them as needed. A part of a dormer is normally not desired in plan view, but needed for modeling (above the roof). I place those parts (in green) on another layer (exterior misc) that gets turned off for publishing.

One your bottom one... I have a composite that is just the sheathing and siding (1.25"). That is a situation where I would use that.. as well as wrapping all floor slabs.
Picture-4.jpg
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
I split the wall to get the roof to cut it right...

...A part of a dormer is normally not desired in plan view, but needed for modeling (above the roof). I place those parts (in green) on another layer (exterior misc) that gets turned off for publishing.
so i'm going about it in a way that makes sense then. i just thought that there would be a better way to intersect walls that i was missing.
Rick wrote:
One your bottom one... I have a composite that is just the sheathing and siding (1.25"). That is a situation where I would use that.. as well as wrapping all floor slabs.
i use the same way as for the dormers. i normally have external walls wrap around slabs rather than slabs to exterior walls and just have a 'hidden in plan' wall to fill the gap. if i'm lucky the joins won't show in elevations.

is the siding a seperate wall (doesn't this take time?), or is a seperate layer on a composite wall that helps intersection?
Rick Thompson
Expert
If I understand you last question (?).. the siding is part of the wall composite. I draw walls with a 1 1/4" offset to align the core with the floor slab. I then wrap the floor slab with a composite of just siding and sheathing.. 1 1/4". Those lines that appear in elevation are getting better over time with GS working on it, but yeah.. a bad consequence sometimes. Fussing with wall priorities can help.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for your input Rick. i'll have another look at wall priorities