cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

why do GUIDE LINES keep disappearing?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i'm having trouble keeping my guide lines from disappearing. the first time it happened, i realized that my guide line was simply toggled off. i switched it back on and my guide lines came back.

however soon after they were off again, and none of my settings appeared to be different. i checked through archicad help to no avail and finally had to result to closing and restarting the program. upon opening my guide lines started appearing again, but less than 5 minutes later they were gone again.

does anyone have any idea as to why this could be happening? i don't seem to be doing any out of the ordinary command that would be causing the guide lines to stop showing up.

thanks!
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
WELL I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME. HOPEFULLY SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT HAVE SOME INSIGHT. I HAVE CONTACTED MY TROUBLESHOOTING GUY, AND AM AWAITING A RESPONSE. THANKS AGAIN.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ANY IDEA WHAT I SHOULD CALL THAT LINE FOR FUTURE INQUIRIES.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's happening sometimes, and in my experience a simple quit/restart usually fixes it.

The technical term I believe is rubberbanding (not guide lines), and it happens usually when Archicad and other applications are on for a long time.

It must be some display driver thing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well done Ferenc, I couldn't think of the name!

Doing a search for rubberband brings this up -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=103201&highlight=rubberband#103201

So clearly it is not a one-off problem, as I stated before (which may be good depending on how you look at it!)

It might be worth checking to see if you have the latest graphics card drivers too, as suggested in the above thread.

Good luck!
Barry Kelly
I too have seen this rubber band disappearing for no apparent reason that I have found yet.
The solution that seems to work for me is to generate a 3D view and then switch back to the plan.
Then it works again - for a little while at least.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a solution for y'all! (hey for once i really get to contribute!-lol)

Right, no idea what causes it as it happens just out of the blue... can't reproduce it... but I have a quick workaround which works for us here.

Go to the 3d window and come back to your plan. The rubberband will re-appear. It helps if before you go to 3D you select a single wall, or other element, so you don't spend time waiting for the thing to re-build.

HTH
Tom Krowka
Booster
I've had the same problem. I contacted Graphisoft tech support, they sent me to a link to clean preferences.

Here is a link to the article with instructions for performing a preferences cleaning procedure

http://www.archicadwiki.com/PreferencesCleaning

Make sure you export your work environment before you do this. if you have a custom WE and haven't saved it, this process will delete it. Import it when you reopen AC.

It worked for me.....but don't know why it happened in the first place.

Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com