BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

PhD with Archicad

Waldemar
Participant

I started to study architecture in 2011. It was going alright initially, learning to sketch, create designs, and build models. In my second year, we were introduced to a couple of cad software products and decided to go with a competitor product. I visited some extra classes to keep up with the demanding studies. I quickly realised I had a difficult time getting my ideas into the cad system I chose. I got really frustrated to the point that I was considering quitting my studies because I thought I would never understand cad software.

Most of my peers used Archicad for their designs, and one of my friends introduced me to Archicad. He showed me how quickly I could resolve one issue of my design idea, something I struggled with for almost one semester.

First CAD Project:

1.jpg2.jpg

I was fascinated by how Archicad provided me with a tangible solution to my ideas, so I switched the software tool in the middle of the semester. I started to visit Archicad Tutor workshops offered by Graphisoft in Germany, and it became a yearly tradition for me to visit one workshop each year. I developed excellent skills; my peers would come to me for advice, sometimes even a lecturer or professor. I started enjoying explaining and exploring the boundaries of Archicad and pushing it to its limits.

I started to work for the University of Applied Sciences in Bochum, Germany and freelance for Graphisoft West. I used my passion and joy for teaching and got a living out of it.

After my master's, I wanted to explore more, and I decided to do a PhD and got accepted at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia. During my PhD studies, I explored how software tools can refine the methods and tools of existing design processes of media or interactive architecture. Traditionally, architecture is designed with static design tools such as sketches, drawings and physical models. There needs to be more research on how to employ design tools to capture interaction media design in an architectural context. In particular, in higher education, these design tools (such as Archicad in combination with Twinmotion, for example) can refine traditional teaching approaches while discovering new ways of design thinking and creating design solutions in architecture schools. During my PhD studies, I was fortunate to work with some fantastic students who were curious to explore the boundaries of architecture with me.

I finished my studies in September this year, and now I can call myself Doctor. (Link to my thesis)

PhD Case Studies 

Twinmotioncloud Into the Media Woods

Project by Waldemar Jenek

Project By Ahsen Cavlak

Project by Florian Stelter

Archicad has always been a great tool I have used throughout my career, doing my work and educating others. I don't know where I would be without it!