cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Our Community
Ask questions about this community, the platform, and any technical questions.

“AI” User Question Answers

mthd
Ace

I was wondering if it would be possible to generate an “AI” answer to our questions on the forum ?

We could have an “AI” response as well as other user replies, if “AI” is not accurate enough that is.

May save us a heap of time for for simpler questions.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly

Please no.

The AI responses I have seen to Archicad questions so far have been pretty ordinary and in some cases completely misleading or wrong.

Some have been posted here and some of those have had to be amended or removed.

AI only 'knows' what it can gather from the reference guide and forums such as this.

You can do that for yourself.

No need for anything artificial.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Yes true but as “AI” gets more advanced, it may be able to read the data base more carefully.

I would say it could help with simpler problems at present and yes we can do our own search.

I think it will play a role whether we like it or not in the future.

Davor P
Booster

I strongly disagree with Barry.

Using ChatGPT and Python I was able to create processes that would otherwise cost great deal or require me to spend a lot of time. GS will yet again fall behind if they don't jump on the train.

@mthd Look up how to vectorise data. Then you can supposedly forward your own vectorised version of data (IE GDL reference guide) along with a question to the AI. Supposedly this should fill in the missing bits. GDL reference guide is surely GS IP and this is only my opinion.

BIM4BIM - by BIM managers for BIM managers

@Davor P wrote:

I strongly disagree with Barry.

Using ChatGPT and Python I was able to create processes that would otherwise cost great deal or require me to spend a lot of time. GS will yet again fall behind if they don't jump on the train.

That is fine and everyone can have their opinion.

Python is a common programming language and I assume it has strict rules and commands to follow.

I don't know a lot about it as I don't use it, but I believe Python in Achicad is a little different and doesn't have all of the same commands.

So unless it knows all of the quirks of Archicad, I would be inclined to use any information gained carefully.

I am not saying it is not a useful source of information.

It can certainly help in gathering information, it is very fast at that.

However you can only get out what someone has put in (yes it is just a program and someone has to feed it information, I am sure it can search for and interpret digital information by itself, because someone has set it up to do that).

Some of the AI generated answers I have seen for Archicad seem to suggest what it thinks can be done instead of what can actually be done.

That is why I have my reservations about it, certainly for now.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
mthd
Ace

It’s all about it being able to help us save time in our workflow and to assist us with the design and documentation etc. When it can do the tasks effectively and efficiently then it all helps in the process.

Having an “AI” answer to a question even if it is not specific enough, can help and as we comment we can see if “AI” is understanding us correctly.

ChatGPT was surprisingly good at generating code for Archicad Python module. I fed it an example script along with another similar command from Archicad Python documentation and it was able to generate working code. While Archicad module definitely has different commands, my impression is that those commands follow the principle of other Python modules.
The way I use AI is I have general idea of what could be done and AI is then a drunken stoned pro coder that comes up with solutions. It is very forgetful and sometimes it dreams up things that don't exist but at other times it surprises with results. It is not ideal by far, but it definitely is a very powerful tool.

BIM4BIM - by BIM managers for BIM managers

@Davor P wrote:

The way I use AI is I have general idea of what could be done and AI is then a drunken stoned pro coder that comes up with solutions. It is very forgetful and sometimes it dreams up things that don't exist but at other times it surprises with results. It is not ideal by far, but it definitely is a very powerful tool.

Exactly.

As a user it is a great source and can give some great and fast results.

Saves you having to code manually.

But as a user you can chooses to use the answer or not, or just part of it.

As automatically generated answers to questions in the forum it is a bad idea in my opinion.

I am not confident that it will interpret the question properly (even some people asking the questions don't really know what that are actually asking) and I am not confident it will give the correct answer.

Of course people are free to use AI to find an answer.

Just don't post the reply here and say "AI says the answer is ..." unless it has been checked for accuracy.

And besides all of that, how would this community forum sort out which posts get answered by AI and which don't.

It can't be all posts - that would be a nightmare.

Even worse than me answering so many posts!!!

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

“HI” answers like yours Barry are always welcome but “AI” doesn’t need sleep like us, just program updating.

Search engines have become more intelligent over time and are not making the same initial errors.

As long as “AI” is marked on the post, it wouldn’t bother me and this after all is a good way for “AI” to get more accurate when it reads our posts as well.

Then you and all of us should have more time to design and less time answering questions.

On my very first conversation with an AI the topics went from the big bang to Archicad and how to make it better.  It ended up giving me some code to generate automatic dimensions which it wrote in one minute. It was a trully shocking/amazing experience.

Of course, i still dont trust that thing that much to implement code generated by it in my own PC, but the code seemed quite legit and complex.