Our Community
Ask questions about this community, the platform, and any technical questions.

Please insert screenshots/images in-line when you post vs attachments

Karl Ottenstein

Hello all,

Just a request to make this Community more quickly readable - and perhaps to get more and faster answers to your questions:

I've noticed that, more and more, people are posting screenshots about an issue as attachments, requiring a separate click to open them.  Personally, I rarely take the extra time to view attachments and instead just skip the topic.  Kudos to those who take the time.

Simply drag the screenshot or image file into the text editing window in-line at the point where you want it to appear.  Adjust the resize handles to make it somewhat larger if necessary to make it readable.  People can still click on it to see the full image.  You can drag multiple images into the same post.  (You can also use the camera icon in the editing toolbar/ribbon if you want to browse vs drag-and-drop.)

The separate box just above the "Post" button for dragging and dropping files, below the message editing panel, is better suited for non-image file types that have to be opened or downloaded separately.  If you have a rendered image that is huge, then  attach it there as well.

Cheers,

Karl

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 11.46.51 AM.jpg

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
4 REPLIES 4

Thanks for that @Karl Ottenstein. I must admit I am guilty of that. I found when I added an image using the button it dumped it at the top. I didn’t realise it could be dragged and dropped in place. Much better way of doing it. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
Lingwisyer
Guru

I half figured it was due to habit from the old forum where there was an attachement preview... though even back then it was annoying as it was sometimes hard to relate which image was being referred to. There was even a "place in-line" button...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Botonis
Advisor

Will the dragged screenshot retain the original quality or will it be compressed somehow?

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

@Botonis wrote:

Will the dragged screenshot retain the original quality or will it be compressed somehow?

The screenshot will have full quality if it is clicked on to view full size.  For 99% of questions here, the issue can be understood from the preview image.  Good question! 🙂

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB