Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Comprehensive Electrical ISS and custom symbols...

Andy Thomson
Advisor
Here at Altius we are just finding a need to have a faster, smarter way of doing electrical schedules. We are considering some kind of meta-part/object that can take whatever name/polygon boundary we need, where the object ID can read from the centre of the object, and be called in the ISS.

I have all the standard NCS, and Cadimage symbols, but they are mere 'dumb' symbols, or not graphically representative of conventions in the US and Canada. Can anyone recommend an approach, object, or scheduling methodology?

This is primarily for large, high-end residential, but also hi-rise residential work....

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
31 REPLIES 31
__archiben
Booster
andyro wrote:
It does look like your cadimage random thing is an upgrade of the one I have, will need to download and take a look - but are you actually using it??
not yet! i'm slowly introducing the cadimage tools into the workflow and updating a template as i'm going. it falls to me to make these things work, so the next time i do a power/lighting layout and schedule will be the time i use them, get them set up the way we want and update the template accordingly.

it does look like you're after something far more complex in its representation, but the functionality you're describing is very similar. you guys are big cadimage users aren't you? why not put a request through to them - see if they can't update their detailer objects to do what you want?

cheers
ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
davide
Newcomer
Where i can find , in archicad library, the eletrical schedule and the eletrical symbol 2? thanks davide
iMac i7 late 2009
Archicad 24
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In the INT version electric sybols are at:

Archicad Library 10\Archicad Library 10.lcf\Object Library 10\1. BASIC LIBRARY 10\1.7 2D Elements 10\Electric Symbols 10
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
davide
Newcomer
I know. I mean the object in the pictures posted by archiben from new zealand. thanks
iMac i7 late 2009
Archicad 24
__archiben
Booster
davide wrote:
I know. I mean the object in the pictures posted by archiben from new zealand. thanks
they are a part of the 'rapid detailer 3' tool pack from cadimage...

http://www.cadimagetools.com/home.php?page=products&productID=160
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Just posted for download last night:

http://www.archicad.ca/?p=52

The object I wished I had 2 years ago!!
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Chazz
Enthusiast
The Eletrigon object family is fantastic and and the decision to make it available to the community is laudable. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

However, isn't this all sort of anti-BIM?

Call me old fashion, but my electrical holy grail includes parts that display flexibly in 2D and schedule intelligently but that also display realistically in 3D.

Having switches, outlets, etc. that elevate accurately is a big help in finding conflicts. I have always wondered why the standard AC lib does not include this functionality out of the box. Am I crazy?
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Andy Thomson
Advisor
You are absolutely not crazy. It is stupid to have 2 sets of lights, some for rendering, others for scheduling, as it creates 2x the work. Our decision not to enable 3D light and switch features to this object yet is because:

A) Rendering in AC, while better than ever, is still sub-optimal
B) GDL lights are kinda weak, in terms of their quality
C) "...under the Atkinson Doctrine, you shouldn't use the project's 'real' lights to illuminate a rendering..." - I disagree here, but Dwight has good reasons.
D) Differentiation between Sconce, uplight, downlight, general, etc. is required. This leads to a messy profusion of objects, where we wanted to keep it simple.

The longer term plan is to implement a 3D aspect to this, but we don't want the object to become too heavy, and it would be nice to keep it all under a couple of subtypes, with 2 or 3 objects.

Since GS has abandoned further development (Radiosity) in their rendering, we didn't feel like going whole hog - yet.

I absolutely agree that BIM = Real Representation, Scheduling, etc. AC is simply not 100% there yet. If there is a real demand for this kind of functionality, I would propose to GS to include the ElectriGon in their GDL lights for the next release...
Director
Anonymous
Not applicable
...and very often all that is needed is simple 2D electrical plans. I don't believe that BIM means that everything should be modeled whether it is needed or not. Most of my clients rarely (if ever) render interiors so the overhead of managing the 3D aspect would a wasted effort.

This is not to say that a 3D option would not be welcome. Elevating switch and receptacle layouts can be very helpful, many light fixtures do need to appear in sections and elevations, and, while I generally agree with Dwight about lighting the interior renderings, it does help to have the fixtures present and appear to glow.

Many thanks to James and Andy for making these bits available. I haven't actually tried them yet but I know these guys' high standards and look forward to putting these parts to work.
First revision/fix is up. (Added some hotspots.)

www.archicad.ca/?p=52
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info