Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Graphic symbols linked into templates or use Favorites

Anonymous
Not applicable
We now use a graphic pln file linked into our template that has all our doors, windows, room tags, slabs... etc..... that we like to start with. It shows how it should look like in plan and it also has information for shedules already in the various objects. I tried using the favorites but I couldn't remember when I updated a door object that I tweaked and then I had to remember to overwrite the favorites in every project I was working in. When we link a pln file, Archicad prompts you that a module is outdated. So it was easier to remember to update and in the end you always used the lasted objects.

How does everyone else use standard objects? Favorites? A separate file loaded in? We are in the process of moving to V12 and are rethinking how we do every thing so we use Archicad to the fullest potential.

Any ideas would be great!
Thanks,
Michele
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use favorites for project specific things like wall types, door/window settings, etc. I find that the linked modules as you have been using them is the best way to manage the standard parts across projects.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Favorites remember everything except for the geometry. For example, they won't remember a wall layout, slab shape, text note, etc. IME favorites should be used for everything excpet where such geometry needs to be remembered.

Having said that, favorites are very specific when it comes to attributes, so if you're using files with different attributes, it is somewhat 'safer' to use pre-made elements, modules, etc. Then the attributes will be added to the project, if that's indeed what you want to do.

Best scenario is to have a tight template and base all projects off that. Then favorites are the way to go IME, and (the non-geometric) pre-made elements are obsolete.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Link.