Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layer Settings, Standards?

Anonymous
Not applicable
does anyone have a standardized layer names, settings, combinations to be used for high rise projects?

trying to built up a new one here, and everyone's idea and previous attempts are important.

thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
In my small experience, there is very little different about a high-rise in AC than a modest structure, because AC separates layers by story, etc. You will want to use hotlinked modules extensively so that common elements are edited in only one place and automatically updated elsewhere. That can often result in a few extra layers.

People who do highrises all the time will have more knowledge to share than me, though. 😉

Cheers,
Karl

PS The layers / template delivered with ArchiCAD are nearly worthless IMHO for actual work, so I'm assuming your question was about taking a set of usable layers and extending that to a highrise.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl wrote:
In my small experience, there is very little different about a high-rise in AC than a modest structure, because AC separates layers by story, etc. You will want to use hotlinked modules extensively so that common elements are edited in only one place and automatically updated elsewhere. That can often result in a few extra layers.
This has been my experience as well.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
On the highest (not very high) rises (6 or 7 stories) that I've worked on this has been the case. It gets waaaay to confusing trying to have different layers for each story. And having hotlinked modules (esp. for toilets/kitchen/bathroom layouts) saves alot of time and sanity.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes i agree with the multi-story having the same approach with single.

I am more interested in people's layer settings in archiCAD,
who is using what, any made templates that people wanna share?
Is it best to adopt USD or AIA standard, anything like hat?

It will give me a really good idea if someone can post their list of layers,
I am definitely needing a new and updated one here

thanks for your replies
ozbencetin wrote:
yes i agree with the multi-story having the same approach with single.

I am more interested in people's layer settings in archiCAD,
who is using what, any made templates that people wanna share?
Is it best to adopt USD or AIA standard, anything like hat?

It will give me a really good idea if someone can post their list of layers,
I am definitely needing a new and updated one here

thanks for your replies
This has been discussed many times on this forum. We use the AIA Layer Standards applied to the "Project Framework" logic. You can find Templates for sale from $50 to $200 -- dirt cheap compared to the time required to set a Template up from scratch. I suggest searching the forum.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004