Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Nested module layer not turning off.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a site plan on which the buildings are modules, on a master layer called "Modules"

Now I'm creating a larger master site plan, and have referenced the site plan as a module in this larger site plan. It's on a separate master layer called "Site Module". The buildings are now nested within this module.

In this new drawing, if I turn off the layer "Modules", the buildings remain visible - it is as if the layer is not switched off.

I've tried making a new module master layer - moving the buildings modules on to that new layer, and updating the modules in the master layouts - but to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (This project in Ver 15)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
The nested modules will only show and hide with the master file they are linked into.

If you want to control them separately you will have to link them independent of the smaller site model. Naturally you will also want to turn off the nested modules in the linked site.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Matthew -

I didn't know that, and am a little surprised.

I managed a workaround, by turning off layers such as walls, stairs, etc. which only referred to the buildings - fortunately nothing in the site plan shared layers with the buildings.

It still seems odd to me that you can turn off 'walls' to hide the layer the walls are on, but turning off 'modules' doesn't hide the layer the modules are on!
Anonymous
Not applicable
It doesn't seem strange to me that it can't "see through" to the layer settings of the other file. Might be a nice feature though if it weren't too hard to implement.
Anonymous
Not applicable
But it wouldn't have to, would it?

I'm not expecting the referenced module to 'remember' its layer settings when it's been used in another drawing. All I'm expecting is that anything which is on the layer 'module' (i.e. the nested modules) disappear when that layer is switched off, i.e. for that layer to behave just like the other layers!

To put it another way, why don't modules act like library parts in this regard?

Sorry, Matthew - perhaps it's all a bit academic, if that's not what actually happens!
Anonymous
Not applicable
At the risk of belaboring the point, the linked parts are not "on" the link/master layer. They remain on their various assigned layers. GS uses a layer as a switch so the modules can be controlled easily with layer combinations. This (arbitrary) assignment is not readable through nested links.