BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Publisher File Paths in Templates

Nik
Booster

Hi everyone. I'm currently setting up our publisher sets in our template and was wondering how people set the default file paths? In general I would like the default to save to the desktop of the individual user - they can then file things into the correct location from there if necessary.

At the moment I can only put in the path for my own desktop: /Users/nik/Desktop (we're using MacOS)

However, this means that anyone else using the template will be trying to save to my desktop too - which of course will not work. Easy to fix, but it would be nice if it worked by default.

If I try to use: ~/Desktop
Then it automatically changes it back to: /Users/nik/Desktop

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

I do not set default locations for publishing in my templates for the very reasons you state above. I leave them blank and advise the team members on the methodology for publishing their projects. On a project by project basis then team members will set up the publishing location on a server where anyone in the team will be able to publish outputs. Noting that this is a network server solution, not a cloud based SharePoint or OneDrive approach which links directly to the user in some circumstances.

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX

I made this. So everyone gets same default publishing directory.

C:\Template 

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

Nik
Booster

Thanks Nathan and Algimantas. For our situation I think leaving it blank is probably the way to go. When you try to publish then you get a warning prompt and the user needs to enter a path.

Cheers, Nik

Learn and get certified!