BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

The lowly line tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had the experience twice in the last two days of lines not being able to select lines on the drawing, even after turning on all layers. Once I was attempting to create a custom profile by drawing a series of lines, highlighting them and activating "offset" from the pet pallette. The offset line was achieved and highlighted, but I could not highlight the original line. The second time was today. I highlighted a line to drag it upward to a new location, which was successful. However, there remained the original image in the original location, which I cannot select because it does not respond. I am left with a line in a location that I do not want. Weird.
15 REPLIES 15
Karl Ottenstein
Is there a chance that you have Trace turned on... and that the lines you cannot select are part of the Trace Reference?

A situation that can give a result similar to one of your examples is when the Trace Reference is the exact same view/viewpoint that you're working on. Since the Trace Reference is not automatically rebuilt ... you can move a line and yet still see the original until the TR is rebuild (refresh icon in Trace palette)... or turned off.

Since you mention 'custom profile', this may not be it at all if your profile is in the Profile Editor which does not support Trace...

?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Karl for responding. While exploring, I turned on all layers to no avail. Then, on the layers palette, which was on the desktop, I unlocked all layers and the one line I didn't want disappeared. ?

And I don't think Trace was active, but then again I don't clearly recall.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just had this happen to me today. I had four lines in a square all highlighted then hit intersect and then grouped them. A few operations later I moved the group and it left a ghosts behind of those lines that were unselectable. I tried to undo it but that didn't work but after switching a few views the lines went away.

I was debating saying anything but since this thread popped upped I thought I should share my experience.
Barry Kelly
I think you both have trace and reference active.
The T & R palette may not be showing but the T & R can still be on.
Open the T & R palette and then turn the trace off (top left button in the palette).
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, apparently I did have trace and reference active. Thanks. I will now pay attention to another thing.
Karl Ottenstein
As Barry noted, if the T&R palette is not visible, you may not be aware that T&R is turned on. For that reason - and ease of access - I always have that palette docked with my other palettes as shown in the attached screenshot of my normal Work Environment. Any organization that works for you is a good organization of course. 😉

PS As a tangent / off topic... I continue to be frustrated that Graphisoft's default WE has the Info Box horizontally at the top of the screen... which let's you view... and modify... very few settings. I wish they would distribute a few Work Environments (WE) so that new users could try working with the Info Box at the side as shown here... where it scrolls vertically with the mouse 'wheel'. My experience is that most people just work with what is delivered, assuming that Graphisot delivered it as an example of 'best practice'. But, best practice is what works best for you... and exploring the Work Environment options is worth the time. OK; off my soapbox. 😉
palette-organization.jpg
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent, Karl. Nice thinking and it's all there instead of having to slide the bar back and forth looking for information. It now occurs to me to ask how you transferred the WE to vertical. I haven't yet tried it. It may be straightforward.
Karl Ottenstein
Kenneth wrote:
how you transferred the WE to vertical. I haven't yet tried it. It may be straightforward.
[Apologies to others for being off-topic...]

Just drag and stretch. Also, for the Info Box, you need to change the header position. Not sure why it is not automatic... but right click the header of the Info Box and you'll get the attached pop-up. To save your revised palette positions and sizes (includes all dialogs such as Layers Dialog, Drawings, etc.) - save (with your own name, the first time) or update (subsequent) the Palettes Scheme in your WE.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hey Karl

Couldn't agree more about the Info Box, but I noticed you still have your Navigator Preview on. I turn to turn mine off nowadays. Do you find yourself using it much?

Cheers,
Link.

PS. I may be passing through Bozeman on July 5th if you're around for lunch?
Learn and get certified!