Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

How do you Maximize Virtual Memory ???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I saw a post by Djordje about "maxing out Virtual Memory". How do you do that exactly??

On my computer, see specs below, under Virtual memory, I see the following info:

Space available 29,378 MB

Custom (checked)

Initial size (MB) 672
Maximum size (MB) 1344

System managed size (unchecked)

No Paging file (unchecked)

Total paging file size for all drives

Minimum allowed 2 MB

Recommended 1437

Currently allocated 672 MB

As I learned architecture in the "old" school, before the advent of computers, and when the closest thing was pin-bar drafting, I find that my ignorance is hurting again and I'm a bit scared to touch anything for fear of blowing up something

TIA to all the architects out there who are also computer mavens

Naftali
3 REPLIES 3
Djordje
Ace
Naftali wrote:
I saw a post by Djordje about "maxing out Virtual Memory". How do you do that exactly??
Windows 2000:

You have to be logged in with Administrator status.

Start/Control panel/System/Advanced/Perfomance Options

You will see Virtual memory seetings in the lower portion of the panel. Click on Change if you want to change. Set the allocation per volume/partition.

Close all the dialogs with OK, and restart.

That should do it.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Naftali wrote:
Windows 2000:

You have to be logged in with Administrator status.

Start/Control panel/System/Advanced/Perfomance Options

You will see Virtual memory seetings in the lower portion of the panel. Click on Change if you want to change. Set the allocation per volume/partition.

Close all the dialogs with OK, and restart.

That should do it.
Hi Djordje,

Thanks for your reply ,but I have still have no idea of what you're referring to. Here is what I see in the Virtual Memory window. What do I do with this, what values would you type in and where ?

On my computer, see specs below, under Virtual memory, I see the following info:

Custom (checked)

Initial size (MB) 672
Maximum size (MB) 1344

Minimum allowed 2 MB
Recommended 1437

TIA,

Naftali
Anonymous
Not applicable
Naftali wrote:

Custom (checked)

Initial size (MB) 672
Maximum size (MB) 1344

Minimum allowed 2 MB
Recommended 1437

TIA,

Naftali

you should have something like this (see screen shot) :
At the top, the dialog box displays the drives available on your computer. You can create the swap file on any drive (there are some restriction, but you seem to have only one C drive) .

You have to select the drive on which you will create the swap file. Let's say it's the C: drive. Windows tells you that there is 29,378 MB available.

You can specify wether the size of the swap file will be customized by you, managed by the system or no swap file at all.

In the bottom of the windows, there are the values recommended by windows.

Your current settings can be explained as this : the min. space taken by your swap file is at the present time 672 mb, but it can grow to 1344 mb. Thus there is at least 672 always taken by the swap file on your C: drive.

Windows tells you that the minimum recommended is 1437 Mb. There are a lot of site where you can find info about the ideal swap file size, and creation method, but IMHE, you should check when all your usual applications are opened and tasks running whether Windows use the swap file or not : as you already have 960 Mb of RAM, there is little chance you get out of RAM quickly and really need the swap file. To check this, you can right click on the windows taskbar and open the taskmanager, the click the Perfomances tab : you'll get there a chart with the usage of the Ram and of the swap file.