BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Management Worries

Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel I have no control when using a BIM Server.

If we are 20 people working on a project, how can I control who edits what?

1. There is no way to lock things (other than to reserve things indefinitely)
2. There is no log of who did what and when and why

For a bigger project, this must be a nightmare.

Thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is some control with different roles in project. So you can limit possiblity to edit stories, layer etc. So less expirienced team members won't do such big harm to the project.

You can also divide project in smaller fiels and alow access only for certain members.

Activitie track is something missing but can be done with different software. I doubt it's so crucial to contorl each step of modeling.

So it doesn't have to be such nightmare
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it's very crucial to "control each step of modeling", as you put it. If I approve a section to be code compliant, I can't have anyone else change it to be non-conformant.

Also, as you said, that I could "divide the project into smaller fields". Is there some documentation on that?
Apart from user roles, there is always
- locking layers in layer combinations,
- 'working' layer combinations for specific modeling/drafting/annotation/coordination tasks (which the model manager can modify on the fly), and
- locking elements (including section markers, in your example): when hovering with the cursor the element will display a 'Locked by Whoever' sign —it can still be unlocked by anybody, but well-meaning people first ask Whoever.
That package doesn't prevent criminal action, but does reduce screwups.
Learn and get certified!