Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Periodic loss of connection to ArchiCAD 21 teamwork file

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I am periodically losing connection to the ArchiCAD 21 teamwork file.

The specific error message is "Error occurred during the last teamwork operation! Communication with the server has failed. . . "

This is particularly strange because I can join other teamwork files on the same server without a problem. Also, if I leave the file and re-join, I regain access. I maintain access for between 1 and 24 hours, then I randomly seem to lose my connection again.

Note that this issue is only happening to my client computer - no one else in the office has this problem - and I have by far the oldest computer in the office.

Also, this was not a problem with ArchiCAD 20, operating on the same server, network, etc.

Finally, this error seems to happen more frequently when another person is working in the teamwork file.

Any thoughts? Please help!
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply!
FYI, we got our teamwork files working again.
Below is a short summary of our situation in case this is instructive for others on the forum:

After talking to our IT consultants, I learned that they had set up our BIM server with a dynamic IP address.

---THE BIM SERVER WILL NOT WORK WITH A DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS---

Apparently our IT guys had never heard of a software that required a static IP address, and they just set it up however they wanted. My new office had just switched from AutoCAD to ArchiCAD as of v.20 so this was a new ground up network.

After really drilling down with our consultants, and after several frustrating conversations when they insisted that they followed the software specifications exactly, they reconfigured the network with a static IP. They were incredulous, but the reconfiguration solved our problem immediately.

We have not had any teamwork connection issues since.
Problem solved!

Note: Even with a dynamic IP address, our teamwork files worked fine with a for like 6 months before suddenly going haywire. I have no idea what caused this change, except perhaps the installation of ArchiCAD 21 a few weeks earlier.