BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

"STOPPED WORKING" - Bim server message?? why?

rob2218
Enthusiast
we get this "STOPPED WORKING" message on the BIM server. it all of a sudden decides on it's own, without provecation, to simply "STOP" working.

What causes? How can we fix this? How can we prevent it from happening again?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
Do you have the newest hotfix for 14 installed? This is one of the bugs listed on the release notes that was supposed to have been fixed I think?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
YES!!!
I definately did install the latest hotfix that came out like 12-16 I believe.
I saw the hotfix notes releases as well and supposedly yes, it WAS supposed to have been resolved but I tell ya...it's been up and down "SINCE" I installed the hotfix.

One thing a GS guru told me was that my "BIM Server" manager location on the network and where my Teamwork files are located should be on the same place.

We have MacMini server.
we are using it apparently as a 'partitioned' drive. we have only 1 hard drive on the server but it appears that the server has "Server HD" portion as well as "CompanyProjectDATA" portion....and GS believes this is what may be causing all the 'hickups' with our up and down BIM server stability.

I sure hope it's an easy fix cause there's no way I can run the risk of moving the TW database files from one location to another....I'm afraid of hotlinks being lost in transition, libraries not loading up..etc.. all things associated with the 'movement' of files once they have been rooted into the folders.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
To clarify more: is the BIM Server actually installed on the Mac Mini (server)? So that the path to the project data is a local path, and not a network path?

The number of partitions/disks should not make any difference unless there is a permissions issue on your "CompanyProjectData" partition.

Does going offline/ "stopped working" correspond with any particular actions - any machine restarts, router restarts, send/receive actions, teamwork messaging actions?

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Karl,
well...Yes, the BIm server "IS" actually installed on the MacMini.
but...that's where the glitch appears to be according to GS.
Our server has been partitioned into two drives.
One drive says "Server HD" where all the apps are.
The other drive says "CompanyProjectDATA" where all our project folders and databases are.

What a fellow at GS was telling me was that both the BIM server AND the data of projects needs to be on the same drive...no partitioning, no making the program believe there are two separate...it must all be in the same place due to software hickups that could occur if the data is in one place and the BIM server is in another part of the server.

That's what I can gather from talking to the GS guru's.

Another thing we noticed was that when we tried to access remotely (on the laptop) a TW file.....the I-7 laptop was trying to "mount" (don't know what this is in Macspeak) but was trying to mount a volume where our project data was located. Again...I have not a clue what this means..."mounting" on a Mac.

Also, our Mac tech dude was trying to explain to me that if we could have all and any associated files (whether they be libraries, other files the TW file reads, etc..) can it be on the same location? I told him that I was not sure if we could move all that information at this juncture in the game.

Links have been made, hotlinks from other TW files have been established, location of other TW files have been setup and so on.....

So...I'm at this point in our project where i'm trying to establish why our BIM server software wants to "STOP" server activity on it's own.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
rob2218 wrote:
What a fellow at GS was telling me was that both the BIM server AND the data of projects needs to be on the same drive...no partitioning, no making the program believe there are two separate...it must all be in the same place due to software hickups that could occur if the data is in one place and the BIM server is in another part of the server.
That doesn't make any sense at all. Maybe you can talk with someone else at GS tech support? (Some of them are on vacation this week though.)

My other question though: does the server "stop working" at random times, or in response to any particular activity? When you restart the server is everything OK?

Has your Mac tech dude reviewed your Console logs for any clues?

Hope that someone else has a clue to help you.

Cheers,
Karl
rob2218
Enthusiast
well...GS has some insight into this "STOP SERVER" issue we have been facing.
Seems that we had started using I-Chat (Apple) over the last few days when one of our team members needed to do remote work from another state.

It appears that I-chat wants to prioritize using the BIM servers "messaging" port 14004.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not just change the port used by the bim server? Move it up a port.
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Michael,
is that even possible? to force the BIM Server to use another port other than the defaulted one?

Wont that throw the entire 'universe' out of balance? (sorry, being facetious here).

But seriously....can I do that?
And what port would I force the BIM server messaging to use?
How do I know what ports I have available to use without interruptions?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the section with the wrench and screwdriver, click on the preference button. You can change the messaging port there. I don't see 14004 officially or unofficially being used for anything
Learn and get certified!