Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Logo on windows+casting shadows

Anonymous
Not applicable
All,
I am trying to put a logo onto a window as a material and cast shadows.
It is for a bar / resaturant. The logo is pretty small 12"x12" but I would like to be as a material for the glass and the text casting shadows.
Is it possible?
My apologies if I am asking a simple question, but maybe there is a post here explaining how to make materials with embeded logos, pictures casting shadows.
Thank you for all your postings!!!

Best,
DDJUSA
2 REPLIES 2
andrewzarb
Booster
Let me help,

DWIGHT!
Dwight
Newcomer
Since andrew left a message on my answering machine, crying, I'll address this for you:

The problem is: how to make an irregular 2D image cast a shadow in a rendering.

PREPARE IMAGE IN AN IMAGE EDITOR:

The irregular logo shape must be trimmed within the rectangular image to create an invisibility mask, known as an alpha channel.

make an alpha channel

Before doing this, add some extra space around the logo to also become invisible as a buffer for the material image repeat.

Once you've saved your file with the transparency information, make it as an image texture in a material like usual. Specify Transparency in the alpha channel choices. Size the logo in the material dialog. "Match with Internal" for the Lightworks material.

THE WALL:

Make a thin wall the size of the sign [including all of the added surrounding invisibility] and place it against the glass. Assign the logo material to both faces of the thin wall. To prevent the edge showing, create an Invisible material and apply it to the thin wall edges.

The logo probably won't align on the sign. To make the logo fit the wall/sign, you'll use the 3D align tool dialog while in the 3D window.

For this, see reference manual. pg 184

Now, you should have a single logo floating in the center of the thin wall, visible on both faces that casts a shadow.
Dwight Atkinson