Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

New ArtLantis 5 preview!

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I mentioned at another forum, last week there was a public presentation of ArtLantis 5 by Gerard (I think) from Abvent at the ArchiCAD University in Nottingham (btw thank you DNC).

The only information you get on the web about this new version of ArtLantis are some pretty sad looking renderings.

Also, with the launch of ArchiCAD 9 and it´s new Lightworks engine, there is a lot of talk about the "new" rendering capabilities of these programs.

I would like to tell something to you guys who didn´t have the previlege (?) of seeing the presentation of ArtLantis 5:

It will blow your hat's off!!!

I, for one, will not loose a second learning to work with Lightworks.
I´ll just sit tight and wait for the release of Abvents new version.

If this subject is something you want to hear about, I´ll do my best to explain what I have seen.
46 REPLIES 46
__archiben
Booster
copied from here:
I wrote:

next, gerard bomer of abvent gave us the second big treat of the day - a trip through the new features of a working art•lantis 5! on speaking about the design and considerations for the new version, one of the first things that struck me was the declaration "respect the operating system"! gone is the traditional art•lantis garbled interface! yay! and - the demonstration was on a mac - in came a slick cocoa-style UI that a mac user could pick up in minutes. graphisoft take note!!! what followed was a tour-de-force of new features including the terrific seasonally-aware trees, (seeing is believing!), and their new proprietary radiosity solution along with some very impressive images.

there's not too much detail about art•lantis 5, but i was very impressed with what i saw. a very good upgrade on the way soon from abvent . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello kripphal, (Ola Kripphal, saudações internas portuguesas )

I am very interested to know a lot more about the new art*lantis version, as i am going to beta test it in next october, but i have only seen at the moment 2 test images on abvent web site, one of them using Carrara 3d model send and prepared to abvent by me. I have been sending them and helping with some models, but since them i never have seen any image again.

so, kriphal you have been there, tell us ALL , please.

best regards
com os melhores cumprimentos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kripphal, just one thing more...Why do you say in another topic that art*lantis 5 have only "half" radiosity? can you explain it better?

thank you
regards
Anonymous
Not applicable
From memory:

1- Integrated Open GL, meaning instant previews, like ArchiCAD.
2- Objects like Billboards, meaning 3da objects you add to the scene.
3- Some great looking 3d trees. Really great looking, you can set the season, and it is a complete 3d. And it ran real fast on a laptop, so there should be some fancy coding there.
4- Alleged rewritten code.
5- Integrated menus. You can flip from camera menu to material menu to light menu instantaneously, without recalc.
6- Radiosity by lights. You can set rad for each light.
7- Shining objects. You can attribute light to an object, so at last you can have a light that is not a point.
8- Postcards. This is hard to explain but it looks like a great concept. After you set the material in your scene, you do a "postcard" rendering. This is a TIF (I think) file with extra info. This file you save in your archive or send to another Art.lantis user. Opening the file, which is a view, you can then drag and drop any material into your current project and voila, you import the material with all the settings. IMHO, this could really speed your renderings up, as I find myself spending huge amounts of time trying to recreate that just perfect material I did some 6 months ago.
9- On a negative note: As far as I understood (this could be wrong, as I was absorbing huge amounts of info, and as I usually say, My Hardware is 100 thousand yars old, and my OS was installed some 40 years ago) Abvent plans to release this version in packages, so if you buy the basic stuff, you don't get some addons like movie clips making.

Thats it, as far as I can remember.
Krippahl wrote:

I, for one, will not loose a second learning to work with Lightworks.
I´ll just sit tight and wait for the release of Abvents new version.

If this subject is something you want to hear about, I´ll do my best to explain what I have seen.
As you've may have no doubt read my rant in the other posting regarding the shortcomings of Lightwave as an internal rendering solution to ArchiCAD 9 particurlarly with GS decision to exclude radiosity from the renderer, I am one ArchiCAD user still looking for a decent rendering solution that doesn't require me to re-learn the Magna Carta just to get a decent quality render. As such I have a couple of questions, if you may, regarding the new Artlantis.

As far as you can best tell from what you saw;

1) Will it support HDRI lighting and/or image based lighting (IBL) in renderings.

2) Is the texture mapping (UVW) and texture mapping and manipulation procedures in general improved to allow scaling, rotation, tiling, skewing, stretching etc., of the maps on a surface.

3) Alpha channel? Caustics? Photon mapping?

4) Will the render preview include a radiosity calculation or just raytracing.

5) Any possibility for a Sketch renderering engine?

I realize that some of these features are high-end features but considering that Artlantis is a dedicated rendering software, these feaatures should typically be standard on any self-respecting and half-decent renderer out there.

I would really appreciate your feedback on this
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brickline:
This was a 15 minutes demo I went to, so I guess none of us had time to ask the right questions.
Besides, I for one was so amazed by the new interface and improvements, I was mainly speechless
As for your q:
1)Dunno
2)Think not.
3)Perhaps.Nope.Dunno
4)No rad on prev, I'm pretty sure.
5) I seem to remember something about sketch, yes, but am not sure.

Sorry if this is too fuzzy.
The main message thou is that ArtLantis will continue to be a very easy rendering program to work with. They are not aiming at the high end market, it is still a software for dummys (which I guess most of us architects are) who just want to slap together a decent rendering while the client is coming up the stairs and about to knock at our door...

Anonymous
Not applicable
kripphal,
you said in a early topic that art*lantis will use "half radiosity"....

why half?

Can you tell me if they have shown a final render?? do you think is photorealistic?? How much?

They have talked about schedule? when it will be available for buying it?

regards

by the way, there's something strange, I have some print previews from the alpha version, with radiosity in preview window. It was Gerard himself who send that image..

One of the strong features of new art*lantis is radiosity in preview..
Anonymous
Not applicable
Half radiosity was a term Gerard used. We didn't dwell into it.
My guess is: either half because you set radiosity to each source of light (You can set it to your main light only, and save a lot of computer time) or because there is a trick in the code and it is not really real radiosity.

As for reality looking, some of the rendering we where showed are on the Art.lantis forum, and some where new. These renderings are done by programmers (I think), so you really don't get a finished feeling. As a tool, and for someone who has done hundreds of renderings in the last 4 years with Art.lantis, I think this 5 version is much more powerful.

From what I know of other rendering software, like 3dmax, Cinema 4, Vue de Sprit, Art.lantis is still way back in realism. But, like the man said, this is not their aim. They want to keep doing software that is easy to use, dumb proof, and fast. As for these tree variables, my feeling is Art.lantis will remain unbeatable.

They told something about schedule, but I wasn´t listening...I was salivating

And maybe there was rad on preview...I confess rad doesn´t do it to me.
I´m much more from the fast and dirty school, especially because I usually do movie presentation at concept level. I use fackiosity, which works fine most of the times
So, for me at least, I wouldn´t classify rad on preview as a strong feature, mor like a gimmick...
Anonymous
Not applicable
kripphal

let's imagine a scale between 0 and 10 value:

-how would you classify art*lantis 4.5 in that scale, and how would you classify art*lantis 5 (based in images that you've saw).

-pick the example that 10 value can be a vray or 3dsmax render...

it's just to have an idea about photorealism...

thank's for your time again.
regards.