Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Photographic Montage of House

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to prepare a photographic montage of a house on a site I have photographed.
How do I place a 3d model of my house on a photograph of a site. The external content options are not available in 3d view.
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Photo montage option is under Document > Creative Imaging > Allign View

You place the photo somewhere in plan view, define two edges that are in your model and on the photo and it tries to create a camera that fits the view.

Personally I find setting the image as background for 3d window, resizing the 3D window to have the proportions of that image and eyeballing it to work quicker and more accurate. It helps if you know how many mm lens setting your photo has, most digital cameras embed this sort of info in the file if you inspect the properties. Now you just need to match up the view angle to that. http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/field_of_view.html sites like these help with conversion.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
You can get your picture into 3D view by adding it to your library and using it as a surface image on a wall or something. There are ways to get it to scale too. If you show us a picture perhaps we can suggest a good way to do it. ?

I use this technique for lots of things. Like if I am working in 3D to model something from a picture or other image files. I put it on a wall I can see while I am modeling it. For example a special stair you have a picture of. Put is on the wall behind where your modeling it in 3D so you can see it while you are modeling. For added realism you can model a few things in the picture and add some lines for highlights to make the background picture more like the rendered view of the building. Make some shadows with fills for areas in the picture that should have some shadows from the building or other things you modeled.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Kiwiben wrote:
I need to prepare a photographic montage of a house on a site I have photographed.
How do I place a 3d model of my house on a photograph of a site. The external content options are not available in 3d view.
Kiwiben - your email is not working for me. I gets returned with errors. ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!