Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

lightworks vs artlantis ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im getting into rendering more and more.... im currently using lights works for movies and renders and getting pretty good results,,, is artlatis that much better and should i start learnig that

achi cad 10
widows xp
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maxwell well a fantastic piece of software, you just need a render farm to produce renders in the same time Artlantis2 does on my dual core laptop.

Artlantis2 is alot easier to learn.
Dwight
Newcomer
The "Artlantis Attitude" is about making illustrations without effort.

"La la la la la, here's the picture, now pass my latte."

There are certainly many products superior to Artlantis, but none possess the combination of simplicity, quality and speed that architects need. With simple resources, you can reasonably expect to generate an entire development permit for a city block-sized project on 30x42" boards overnight with Artlantis. [In the right hands [me]]

I am hard at work completing "The Artlantis Attitude" book, so of course I support the program, but it continually amazes me with its simplicity and productivity.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe you are right.. About render time with maxwell, you don't have to have a render farm, just let it render during the night

Artlantis is simple to learn, but to get the most of the program, you'll need some years of expiriance, just like with any other soft
Dwight
Newcomer
Right. There's two reasons even the easiest software still needs experience and skill:

Not Automatic: Users expect that it will be "automatic" and it is, more-or-less, but if you are trying to cheat the away-from-the-sun elevation into looking like noon in the other hemisphere, that takes some knowledge.

Craft: The operator needs artistic judgement. Because the tool exists the operator must understand its function even though illustration techniques and photorendering terminology remains rare in architects. It also seems that many of our colleagues can't compose an illustration to capture the eye. There's a huge problem in itself. Like, the guy buys the best software but has no sense of his artistic objective.

Doing the tutorials: Artlantis is deceptively easy - so that users feel they can bypass the tutorials. Just like with Archicad, their forum is full of stuff that can be found by watching the tutorials.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
yo, nik:

get the demo

http://www.abvent.com/
Dwight Atkinson
For a first look at Artlantis (and to actually get productive in an afternoon), you can start off some file with a nice material-lighting-sky-etc. setup. I think you can download a few from the Artlantis forums. I have not set up a file from scratch in years, I always use some recent project as reference.
Dwight wrote:
"La la la la la, here's the picture, now pass my latte."
[I don't understand the latte part. Like you only have your latte once you've finished the picture? Like 'if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding'? Or is 'latte' some abstruse Canadian slang for 'check'?]
Dwight
Newcomer
Like, it is supposed to be so easy and fast "la la la" that you can actually get a break from work before your latte cools rather than stay up all night shrieking in frustration like with certain built-in rendering engines.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Like, it is supposed to be so easy and fast "la la la" that you can actually get a break from work before your latte cools rather than stay up all night shrieking in frustration like with certain built-in rendering engines.
No.

Because it's so easy and fast when you take a break to go get your latte (or flat white) your boss suddenly reaslies there's time for 10 more renders.
Dwight
Newcomer
Thank goodness for batch render.

In Canada, "flat white" is an interior paint option. I initially thought that there were a lot of cheap paint stores in ChristChurch, but such small quantities - how could you get even a single wall done with a mere grande of paint?
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
get the demo. Then we'll talk.
Dwight Atkinson