gavinNZz
Advocate

I wish that GS put some focus & development resource on the underdeveloped tools it already has. I feel this would add far more to the functionality of the software than adding new tools. Granted the design options function was requested and they are delivering this in V27 but what about an upgrade to the mesh tool which has been unchanged for decades. I'm not sure why this is still in 'under research' on the roadmap as it is sorely need. GS could incorporate LAND4 functionality into AC  and they would instantly bring huge gains in this area of design.

Doors & windows is another area that could do with a major upgrade but this is stuck in the 'idea pool' when it should be in the 'in progress' section.

What about a floating palette for live control of layers? Surely a junior developer could make this happen?

Keynoting is in the 'under research' section when it should also be 'in progress'. Efficient database sourced notation would provide huge gains in our workflows especially if it is integrated nicely into the Properties and Classifications functionality.

I realize that things can't happen overnight but GS is a large multinational software company so some of these glaring omissions in its toolset is frustrating. AC users are forced to develop workarounds or pay additional fees for tools that should be in the base AC offering. 

I wonder if the Nemetschek umbrella will continue to fund AC as it loses users and can't pay for itself?

7 Comments
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

+1 on Mesh Tool upgrade. can't stand the fact that i can't have the same contour at the bottom as the top. at the very least have this functionality.

+1 on Key Note. i've seen workarounds, but i doubt people in the office care enough to learn and/or manage throughout the project stage.

+1 on Door & Window Tool updates. we don't do alot of complicated window layouts, but when they do come, i can't help but surrender to separating panels/frames all because i can't get them into 1 definitive shape, without creating custom objects or using 3rd party add-ons.

i would like to see how far the Scheduling improvements go. adding the colours is nice, but this tool needs alot more functionality improvements.

i'd also like to see the Detail Tool improved. enough with the destructive detailing where everything is blown up into their 2D elements. there's nothing BIM about this process. i need to tag walls & have their properties & classifications retained while in the Detail environment.

Q&A was a complete farce last night. I'm convinced at the end they were answering shill questions as they popped out of nowhere anonymously and were quickly asked and answered... while ignoring the questions with the most likes and replies/discussion. They want nothing to deter them from their goal to sell to engineers at the cost of their existing architectural base (both figuratively and literally).

Gerry Leonor
Advisor

i only saw the YouTube video. did not even see a Q&A.

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi Gavin.

Regarding Keynotes, would you be able to share some examples of your work, how ideally you are showing it? And what existing workflows your office is using? If you’d prefer not to publicly share, feel free to DM me with these. Thanks.

We are already in discussions with a number of customers, but happy for additional examples.

Another item that needs desperate attention is the stair tool. It's nearly impossible to design anything simple in under and hour. There are so many locked parameters for treads and risers that need to meet specific conditions for it to even be customizable. It needs drastic simplification. Or if that can't be done, then they need to reintroduce smart stair objects, for the times when only basic stairs are needed.

When the new stair and rail tools were introduced, they forced the hand of people to use it by eliminating the previous stair and rail objects. Now, we always have to do a library part search for old objects from legacy ArchiCAD libraries when we want something quick and simple.

gdford
Advisor

yes - yes - yes and more yes

gavinNZz
Advocate

Hi James, Hope you have had a good weekend in your part of the world? I have spent some time putting my thoughts on keynotes into this doc. Its probably a bit more info/ideas than you were expecting but I have been discussing  keynote development for a number of years so the ideas have become quite refined. Use the link below to access the doc, have a read and let me know what you think.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/127ELoRVptGl3XMDirkK1FkaRwaaXeiU7HbAmKRb-UuI/edit?usp=sharing  I have no idea what other users are asking for or what GS has in mind but keynotes in one of those tools that you are going to want to get right straight out of the box as it is so critically important to the documentation process. Thanks again for reaching out and giving me your time to review my ideas. Hope to speak with you soon.

Status
Upvoted

with 20/80 votes 4%

Additional Information
Product:
Operating System:
Labels:
Other