Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphisoft must provide Mac users with a tool for accessing old projects

Karl Ottenstein

Customers need a means of accessing and converting old Archicad projects other than keeping an old computer running an old OS sitting around "just in case".

As is usual, Graphisoft only provides compatibility updates to the current and previous release of Archicad (two versions).  This has worked fine in the past when all versions of Archicad could open old projects, however now we have a situation where only AC 26 and earlier can open projects from version 16 back to as old as version 8.1 ... and so if Archicad 26 cannot run, then those old projects are inaccessible with current Mac operating systems.  See the macOS Sequoia KB article:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Installation-update/macOS-15-Sequoia/ta-p/616173

and the file compatibility article:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Licensing/Archicad-file-and-protection-compatibility/ta-p/304085

For many years, Graphisoft offered a special Archicad 10 "converter" version download that could open projects back to version 6.5 ... but that converter version is no longer compatible with macOS either.  Thus, Mac users will very soon find themselves with no means of opening old projects, rendering their intellectual property inaccessible if those projects were never (tediously) migrated to a modern version.

This wish is for Graphisoft to maintain macOS compatibility for Archicad 26 indefinitely as a "converter version" for old projects... and/or to offer a compatible converter version similar to the old AC 10 converter. 

PS. Even Archicad 28 can open files back to version 17 - so this wish only impacts users who have been customers for longer than 10 years.

1 Comment

This would most definitely be helpful but I suspect impossible to release an updated version that works with modern macOS. Maybe they could create a tool within the recent versions that can import and convert the data. 

I bought a copy of Parallels Desktop with Windows 11 installed which successfully runs Archicad 7, 9 and 10 and all recent versions. We use that to open up our older files from 4 onwards. I believe support can do it for you too. 

Status
Open

with 2/200 Votes 100%

Wish details