Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.
SOLVED!

Archicad 23 API Template for Windows Visual Studio 2017

poco2013
Mentor
I installed the Archicad 23 API package and also checked the box for the installation of the Visual Studio template. But i can not find the template. It is not located under the Support folder. Any ideas on how to get it?

On windows 10 with Visual Studio Community 2017
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
poco2013
Mentor
I suggest you look at the Blog instructions by Archicad. They are fairly complete.

I did a three video series on YouTube which Demos the "Hello_World" Add_on"

That should get you started

Gerry

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Gerry,

The template will be installed directly into the Visual Studio. So it will be placed into your VS templates folder, by default:
<user documents>\Visual Studio 2017\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C++ Project
You should find the ARCHICAD_Add-On_Template_For_VS.zip file here.

Yes, it's a zip and that's correct, Visual Studio will unpack it at runtime and it will be listed in the C++ project templates in the "New Project" dialog:
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Please note that you can install not only Template Project for Visual Studio, but there is an option to install Debugger Visualizers too.

Those Debugger Visualizers will be installed directly to your Visual Studio's Visualizers folder also:
<user documents>\Visual Studio 2017\Visualizers

Thanks to those visualizers you will be able to debug the content of objects with type GS::UniString, IO::Location and many others.
dushyant
Enthusiast
Is the Debugger Visualiser by the name "GS.natvis" ?

If it is missed to install it during the API devkit installation, can it be installed separately?

Thanks.
dushyant
Enthusiast
Thanks for showing where this template is. I had been looking for something like this.

Looking in the Src dir of the template project, why are the source files in C and not C++?

Thanks,
Dushyant
Tibor wrote:
Hi Gerry,

The template will be installed directly into the Visual Studio. So it will be placed into your VS templates folder, by default:
<user documents>\Visual Studio 2017\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C++ Project
You should find the ARCHICAD_Add-On_Template_For_VS.zip file here.

Yes, it's a zip and that's correct, Visual Studio will unpack it at runtime and it will be listed in the C++ project templates in the "New Project" dialog:
VS_AC_Template.png
Solution
poco2013
Mentor
I suggest you look at the Blog instructions by Archicad. They are fairly complete.

I did a three video series on YouTube which Demos the "Hello_World" Add_on"

That should get you started

Gerry

dushyant
Enthusiast
Thanks Gerry for the video.

Important points noted were:

The VC++ project must be saved in the API-Kit examples directory, and not in AchiCAD's Add-ons (or elsewhere), to compile successfully using the template.

In RegisterInterface function, MenuCode_Tools (default in template) places the menu under Options menu, and MenuCode_UserDef makes it as a new menu.

Dushyant