Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

3Dconnexion Spacemouse Inverted Rotation Controls in BIMx Interior Navigation

Josh Verran
Advisor

This may be more of a question that I should direct to the manufacturer but I thought I'd try my luck here.

I use a 3dconnexion Spacemouse.

When navigating around a BIMx model, for some reason, when I enter the building, the rotation controls invert.
I'm thinking that, the only way the software could distinguish what is inside/outside, is that there is a zone I have entered when moving in.
In Archicad the mouse has two modes; camera and object.

Perhaps somehow there's a similar difference in BIMx?

Tricky to capture in a recording but you can see the camera movement change as soon as it enters what would be the room zone.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER | LinkedIn | My Top Wishes

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

Perth, Australia and Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)

5 REPLIES 5
Emre Senoglu
Expert

It's cool that you can now 'use' a 3d mouse for navigation inside BIMx. However it seems to me that the implementation of it is very 'rough' at the moment. Here's my experience so far:

-No support for MacOS, so thats quite a big minus to begin with.

-The inversion happens even on the outside. I can't quite understand what triggers it, but you're right in that it definitely happens when nearing geometry.

-3d connexion probably has nothing to do with it, so it wouldn't be much use getting in contact with them. I'm thinking this is on the BIMx development team.

-If the controls were inverted all the time, you could have fixed it inside the 3dconnexion settings (their own app). However this is not the case. I can't seem to find any controls regarding the 3dconnexion devices either. Inverting the axis does not seem to affect the spacemouse navigation.

At this point it almost feels like the development team didn't have a test unit to try out the controls. Maybe it wasn't intentional to put 3dconnexion support to BIMx?

AC27 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.co

Even in Archicad itself the 3dmouse never worked really that smooth. It's definitively on GS to change that.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Mario Sacco
Expert

Any news from 3dConnexion mouse on BIMX.

Now on MAC Silicon M1 it doesn't work

On windows parallel on MAC it works but it doesn't receive the preferences of inversion and speed.

On Archicad 27 SIlicon M1 the navigation jumps as always and the Palette of the 3d mouse activable with the left/right button doesn't work

MacBook M1 Max 64GB- OS X 12.2.1 - Archicad 27
https://www.archiradar.it/en/
mthd
Ace

Hi, I also recently tested my 3DC Spacemouse with BIMx on my M1 Max Studio but it would not work. That’s disappointing because it works great in Archicad right up to AC27. So if they can also make it work in BIMx Mac that would be wonderful.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
ullivanMario
Participant

@Josh Verran wrote:

This may be more of a question that I should direct to the manufacturer but I thought I'd try my luck here.

I use a https://www.gtyresltd.co.uk/ . 

When navigating around a BIMx model, for some reason, when I enter the building, the rotation controls invert.
I'm thinking that, the only way the software could distinguish what is inside/outside, is that there is a zone I have entered when moving in.
In Archicad the mouse has two modes; camera and object.

Perhaps somehow there's a similar difference in BIMx?

Tricky to capture in a recording but you can see the camera movement change as soon as it enters what would be the room zone.

When I view the model in the morning, the lighting and shadows cast by the sun through windows are accurately represented. However, as the day progresses into the afternoon, the lighting dynamics within the model seem to shift, almost as if there's a virtual time progression affecting the visualization. This phenomenon persists regardless of the settings I apply within Archicad or BIMx.