BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx Model for Windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I export my BIMx model to Mac it becomes a 23 meg file but when I export the same file to Windows it becomes a 79 meg file. Even if I zip it it is not small enough to send by e-mail. What could be wrong?
4 REPLIES 4
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
jcrarch,

Not certain why you have the disparity in files sizes. In the meantime have you tried just going to File/Project/Save? This will export a .BIMx file that can be opened on PC, MAc, iOS or Android device with the BIMx viewer.

Feel free to contact North America Support and we can send you an upload link for you to send us your project file and we can discover what is making it so large. Or if you like you can check out our articles on BIMx at ArchiCADWiki.com. http://archicadwiki.com/BIMx/ There you will find an article on model optimization that might help you make your BIMx model leaner and meaner.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I didn't realize that the BIMx file could be opened on PC, MAc, iOS or Android.
After I "Export for BIMx" what is the difference between SAVE, EXPORT FOR WINDOWS & EXPORT FOR MacOS?
Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I Export the bimx model to Windows the .exe file cannot be sent through e-mail. What can be done to Export to Windows a file that can be sent?
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
jcarch,

Many users have a file transfer service like Dropbox or YouSendIt and the link. These services help you deliver large files. Subscribers in the US have
access to a Graphisoft server to host there files on a private cloud service for sharing with clients.

Another tip is to compress or ZIP the file. Exe files are typically filtered out by almost all e-mail services. But ZIP files have a better rate of delivery and
they are smaller. You could also reduce the size of the file by eliminating high polygon objects like cars and trees.

A .BIMx format may be your best bet here since it is optimized to run on all platforms so it is much smaller in size. Also, it is not typically filtered by
e-mail protection services. The recipient on the other end need only download and install the BIMx viewer and open the file you send them
(free: Download BIMx Viewer for Mac/PC)

Process to save as .BIMx format: Export to BIMx; launch; hit escape to open menus; choose File/Project/Save (Not Save to PC or OSX, just "Save")

Also, as mentioned above you could e-mail us and we could look at the model directly and let you know why it is so large.

HTH
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center