BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Apple Running Windows XP and AC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone in the user group using an Apple notebook running Windows XP and AC 9 or AC 10.

If yes, how do you like/dislike running Windows on an Apple, and any issues with running the PC version of AC 9 or AC 10.

Thanks,

Grant
8 REPLIES 8
Chazz
Enthusiast
Yeah, I've done it and it seems to work fine, though I would not say that I've put it through its paces.

But why bother? I didn't buy this thing because it would boot XP, I bought because it boots OSX.

Here's the thing; running XP under Bootcamp works great as an XP computer (fast graphics, support of networks and all ports, etc) but it does not result in a good XP laptop. Battery management is terrible under Bootcamp/XP so I only use it when next to a plug. Also there are some hassles with special windows keyboard keys though there are some good (even free) remapping tools out there.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply. What I am really looking for is a great notebook that I can use in the office and carry around to jobsites as well. I was considering the Apple notebook mostly due to its capabilities.

Any suggestions on a great notebook.

Thanks,

Grant
Chazz
Enthusiast
Suffice it to say that that the Apple MacBook Pros are among the very best pieces of hardware made today. Compare a Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc, and a MBP side by side and you will see there is just no comparison. Sony comes close but the others are simply not playing the same game. If you want to run AC 9-10 under OSX on a laptop, the MBP is the way to go. If you need to occasionally dip into XP, the MBP's are an even more attractive choice. If however, all you want is to run apps under XP, then get a Windows laptop and forget the Mac. As nice as the MBP hardware is, the best part of the total solution is OSX itself.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the additional information. Since I have AC for Windows, I assume there is no way to run it on an Apple laptop without having to purchase the AC MAC version from GS.

Hence, love the Apple product but want to stay with AC Windows.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Grant
Chazz
Enthusiast
As others here will be quick to point out, when you buy AC, you get installers for both platforms and the key works with both. If you are an Apple person, by all means use the OSX installer. All I'm saying is that XP on Apple does not result a good XP laptop.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the clarification. I had no idea that on the CD from AC we get both the Windows and MAC versions of AC.

I appreciate the feedback.

Since I develop my project using Windows, can I simply open the AC file on a Mac, or is there a conversion, etc.

thanks,
Chazz
Enthusiast
The PLN is cross platform at the binary level so no conversion is necessary. Other things used in the project (API stuff, some lib parts) can be platform specific.
__archiben
Booster
Chazz wrote:
Other things used in the project (API stuff, some lib parts) can be platform specific.
. . . but since they're run under the license that is cross platform, this usually means simply downloading the other platform's stuff - no additional licenses required.

i'm running OSX and XPPro on my mac book pro and agree with everything chazz has said. OSX - the system - is the main draw for me . . . if everything you do is windows-based and you have no intention of changing then the mac book pro isn't the best option.

'boot camp' - the software that generates OSX drivers for XPPro is still a beta. i believe it's a technology that apple are planning to build in to the next version of OSX, and i'm sure by then they'll have sorted out the power management and keyboard issues that chazz spoke about.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!