BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Calculating pipe costs, tiling costs

Anonymous
Not applicable
I see much potential in Archicad scheduling, but I'm a bit flummoxed about how to work around a few of its (seeming, according to my ignorance) limitations.

For example, I would like to create a cost calculation for 22mm diameter copper pipe (all uses confounded). I can set all this up in a schedule (and have an entire range of diameters grouped by diameter, with the total length of each diameter calculated), but I can find nowhere to enter a cost per metre that would affect every item in that schedule (or the length total).

The same for tiling... I can calculate the surface area, but cannot enter a price per square metre anywhere.

Is there perhaps a guide for this sort of thing that I've missed?

Thanks, best,

Josef.
4 REPLIES 4
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.

Because AC can't (as of now) introduce any kind of formula into schedules, you have a couple of options.

1. Instead of trying to do this inside AC, since you already have all data arranged, export it to a spreadsheet editor. Create a publisher with your schedules saved as TXT files (or xlsx files if they work for you) and link those to your spreadsheet, so you can update the information at any time by simply publishing again. I've outlined this method before, search in the forum. I has great benefits.

2. If what you want is to include those cost schedules in layouts, then you could add a couple of properties (via the new property manager) like cost and total (cost if you haven't already added the information somewhere else). You can then use the "Export property values from schedule" option to export the information as you have it in your schedules, edit those total values with a formula in a spreadsheet editor, and bring those values back with the "Import property values into elements" command (both in File->Interoperability->Element properties menu).

The first one will let you do whatever you want and need with the information, but it'll be outside AC and you will need to bring it back as a PDF should you want to include it in layouts.
The second one is a round trip, and including those cost estimations inside AC schedules is the only added value I see in this option.

Hope that helps.
Best regards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!
poco2013
Mentor
As an alternate -- you may want to look at Add-ins in C++. With the property manager in AC20, Archicad now has this capability to manipulate object properties with C++ functions. which you can then add those calculated properties to schedules.

They have an example = Property_test which demos most of the functions needed - but not all.

So you may want to move this question to the Developer Section?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad is capable of full analytical estimates using the list schemes.

To calculate pipes it depends firstly on how you model them.
e.g. Pipe GDL object or wall-beam profile

The GDL object can return parameters to be used for calculation,
In parameter script you can define descriptiors and components. Use the parameters retrieved from object as reference quantities for components to get results. Use quantity field either as price or as quantity per ref quantity.

If you use elements you will have to use property objects to define components and descriptors. Then link objects to elements by criteria or directly through object settings dialog. Use length as ref quantity then in quantity field of components use price per meter or items per meter or kg/m depends on how you do the calc.

Regards
Learn and get certified!