Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Difficulty importing Autocad 2012 Survey File

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a file that I received from a surveyor that was done in Autocad 2012. It contains 3D data, including a 3d surface. I have had other surveyors send me similar files also done in Autocad 2012 and have had no difficulty opening them. I lose the 3D data, but I can get all the 2D linework, which is all I really want. He has sent it to me without the 3D surface and back saved into older versions of Autocad and I cannot get it open. ArchiCad goes through the process of loading libraries and reading data and then it looks like its going to open it - Navigator and all my palettes show up - and then it just hangs. I have tried different options under the custom functions, open options in the translator. I have also tried merging, without success. I have tried both AC 14 and 15 (we don't have 16 yet). I'm trying to figure out either what I need to do to be able to import the file. Or what direction I can give to the surveyor about how he needs to export the file from autocad so that I can open it

If anyone knows what the solution is, or just other things to try, I would appreciate it
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
try opening it as a library part. Activate the library tool and then go look for the file.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried that and it didn't work. I sent the file so someone else who works in auto cad and they audited it for me and resent. They also sent me a version that had all the auto cad blocks exploded - still no luck.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had this problem with files that contain 'annotative' text and blocks, the only way to import the file is to open in AutoCAD and remove annotative attributes and resave.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I could try to export 3D points from that AutoCAD .dwg file, if you get to me a link to download it.