Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad to Revit - editable walls

en1
Contributor

I work at a multi-disciplinary office, where architects use Archicad. These models are then imported via IFC to Revit, for the structural engineers. We managed to get all elements translated correctly and editable, except for walls.

Hence my question: does anyone know the reason why imported walls with an opening/door/window are not editable in Revit? And why walls without an opening are perfectly editable in Revit? Or any hints on translator settings that would work?

We do export with 'core of load-bearing elements only' in AC, since it's specifically intended for structural engineering, but I don't think this is the issue.

Some screenshots for clarity:

Archicad: four times the same wall, with different opening elements

en1_0-1719230900721.png

RVT:

case 1-3: geometry and type of wall is correct, but element is not editable (type dropdown does nothing, properties missing)

en1_2-1719232038491.png

case 4: wall is fully editable in Revit (type dropdown works, parameters are working)

en1_1-1719232016652.png

Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Emma

Operating system used: Windows

2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

My guess it that when the Wall has no openings, it can be exported to IFC as a simple extrusion and it will preserve its geometry, which then be converted to a Wall element in Revit. When it has Openings in it, its geometry can be conserved only if it is exported to IFC as a BREP, which will not convert to a Wall element in Revit.

FYI: Generally, IFC is recommended to be used as a Reference because all these native-to-native conversions through IFC are not feasible/realistic due to the vast difference between BIM applications.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
mthd
Ace

Hmm ! I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that in AC, walls host openings like doors windows and that they do not have separate layers for those opening elements ? The wall with no openings is editable from your description above.

So how did you get around this problem ? Will walls with openings converted to morphs be edible in Revit ? What happens with complex profile walls that have openings in them, are they edible in Revit ? I think they will eventually solve this problem between GS & Autodesk products with greater cooperation between these two companies as has been announced recently.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Setup info provided by author