Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Area calculations from Elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've come across an interesting situation.

For city permiting purposes, I need to calculate my % of openings on my building elevations. Basically, what percent of the "wall" is transparent.

So, is there a fast way of finding this information, or will I be using paper and pencial and calculating the area of each face of the doors and windows and dividing it by the area of wall itself?

Just wondering.

I can get the length and width of all items from the elevations (thank goodness) but I've yet to find the area of face of each item.

It's a little different than using the zone tool.... any suggestions?

Thanks!!
6 REPLIES 6
__archiben
Booster
seattleguy wrote:
It's a little different than using the zone tool.... any suggestions?
i'm sure that some of the calc/scheduler gurus will be able to help with a more substantial solution, but you can use the 'Element Information' palette to query each wall in turn - it displays the various surface areas of a wall - with and without openings.

not totally automatic and requiring some pencil and paper work, but possible faster than measuring in the elevation window?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
To save on manual calculations, try adding a few more parameters to the Wall List Schedule that is included by default. You'll find it under the Schedules>Element section in your Navigator.

Cheers,
Link.
Opening Schedule.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I created a simple element schedule for this. It measures wall areas gross and net. It even totals them up at the bottom so you just subtract one from the other.

It can filter which walls in the project are measured according to material, fill, layer, storey etc. etc.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Again, to save yourself any manual calculations, use the highlighted parameters in the previously attached image.

Specifically sum up the Analytical surface of openings... parameters.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks!
Andy Thomson
Advisor
we have to do this too - either by 'fire compartment' of a suite or by pure area/opening ratios. as we have often had to graphically prove this, so we make a fill and magic-wand out the openings, calc. the area of the fill and throw it off to the side, we can print our graphic proof later if there is a dispute. often we diagram the compartments this way too...

it is a dumb method but easy for others to understand and results can be validated in anycad.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro