Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Artlantis is not Working on Nehalem 8- core!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I've just recently purchased a new Mac Pro (Nehalem 8- core) because I've started to work on bigger projects.

Prior to this purchase I was operating Archicad 11 along with Artlantis on the previous generation MBP.

The machine runs awesomely for the most part. Archicad works fine. However, operating in Artlantis is a different story. Opening a file is not the problem, it's applying shaders onto a surface that I have a problem with.

5 times out 10, applying the default shaders provided by Artlantis will crash the program.

10 times out of 10, applying Dosch shaders will crash Artlantis.

So far I have wiped my hard drive clean and reinstalled leopard and Artlantis.... but still nothing.

I've taken my computer to apple and they said there's nothing wrong with it.

I've spoken to my distributor and the Artlantis dev. team. No answer yet. (it's been about a week)

My system has 12 gigs of ram, and an ATI 512 MB graphics card. Is anyone having the same problem? Or am I doing something devastatingly wrong here?

It can't be the exported file because i tested it on my MBP and it works just fine.

The whole situation is discouraging because Artlatnis was one of the major reasons why I purchased this desktop for....

My deadlines are approaching soon. Any help is good help at this time.

Thanks,
Fraydo

Here's the crash log if anyone is interested.......

Process: Artlantis [513]
Path: /Applications/Artlantis Studio 2/Artlantis Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/Artlantis
Identifier: com.Abvent.ArtlantisStudio2007
Version: 2.1.0.4 (2.1.0.4)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [68]

Date/Time: 2009-04-13 22:01:33.803 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G3553)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000005f5568b3
Crashed Thread: 43

[Moderator: anyone wanting to see the full crash log can go here:
http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=support/forum/read&mes=1474
]
12 REPLIES 12
Chazz
Enthusiast
Following up here.... I was premature in saying everything was OK for me with Arlantis on the Nehalem 8-core. I had not tested Artlatis on a big phat model (475 MB) and after suffering crash after crash I finally downloaded the CPUPalette (it's a process, search around on the net for how to do it) and sure enough this fixes it. Note that Arlantis Batch also dies mid-render when fed the full 8 cores. I needed to throttle back to 4.

Once again I'm indebted to Karl. Thanks man.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Chazz ... glad to have found a workaround. Abvent posted yesterday on their forums that they are actively trying to figure out what is causing the problem that prevents the use of all cores.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Abvent has posted a hotfix for Mac users that is supposed to resolve the Nehalem problem:

http://www.artlantis.com/artlantis-hotfix-mac-pro-nehalem-available_f-atl_general_us-12347.html

Download page (click the 'i" for information...):

http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=download/update/index

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB