Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Calculated element parameters

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys

Here is a curly one. I am using the interactive schedules to list wall lengths etc, but I would like to do a calculation on these lengths, then list the calculated value. (If only you could do simple calculations in the IS).
I have tried a property object, that has a parameter that lists the calculated length - doesnt work
I have tried an associative label, then driven the calculated length into a parameter - doesnt work.
Of course this stuff is easy with an object, but elements...sheeeesh.

Any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated.

AG
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Give me a real name and a real location and I will give you some answers.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK OK ... done. Now what was that answer Karl
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for getting real, so to speak. (Netiquette of these forums is to always use real name/location. Most don't and the admin doesn't enforce. But many, like me, don't reply to completely anonymous users.)
Archi-Guy wrote:
Here is a curly one. I am using the interactive schedules to list wall lengths etc, but I would like to do a calculation on these lengths, then list the calculated value. (If only you could do simple calculations in the IS).
Given the limitations of the IS, the best you can do with it alone is to save the IS output as an Excel sheet and do the math there...bringing a PDF back in for your layout. 😞 You can either Save As from the file menu, or you can put the IS schedules into a publisher set and publish them to Excel.

If you're an advanced Excel user, you can have a master sheet that merely references the information in the published sheets in order to produce the results you need.
I have tried a property object, that has a parameter that lists the calculated length - doesnt work
Well.. this approach does work, actually, so something wrong with your object and parameter...unless the idea is that you are trying to have the parameter listed in an IS? Not gonna happen. Property objects are designed to list their information in list schemes, not IS schedules.

You can have a list scheme that does the math without property objects if you're just doing math on the lengths, too. You have to be an Archi-Hacker though. The UI doesn't let you insert math into a list scheme, but the textual list scheme file that is created can be edited in a text editor and math operators (defined in the GS scheme syntax manual) can be inserted. Not recommended for the typical user, which is why GS at one point removed the documenation perhaps.

But, list schemes have kind of ugly textual output unless you master the graphic scheme descriptor language. With the text, you can again publish for prettying up in Excel or Access/Filemaker...but then if you've left ArchiCAD, you might as well do the math outside too.
I have tried an associative label, then driven the calculated length into a parameter - doesnt work.
Yeah, it would be great if this would work. Duane has recently complained about just this behavior.

If you go with graphic list schemes, because you want it all inside ArchiCAD, then you should probably get a copy of Eric Wilk's book "ArchiCAD: From CAD to Quantity Survey" since it is the only existing documentation on editing the graphic list schemes beyond Graphisofts syntax for the schemes. If you speak French, get the French edition as the English translation is really terrible and will slow any English speaker down terribly.

Karl

PS I get a forum error when I reply to your posts here...an 'unknown user' response to the email address in your profile. You might want to either uncheck the option to be notified of response, or verify that the email address in your profile is valid.
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply Karl

I really wanted to avoid the excel or database route, as I have managed to keep everything with in ArchiCAD so far.
I am thinking, maybe a wall accessory, and driving parameters into the objects with a calculation, but what a work around. (and I need to do this for columns and beams also...)

I checked my email address, it is correct.

Cheers
Karl Ottenstein
Hi guy,

No problem. I figured you were trying to stay in AC from the way you had asked... in which case the only option that I know of is to master the list schemes.

With the list schemes, you have (at least?) two options: (1) modifying the list formatting file to do the math, or (2) setting up your database and property objects to do the math and generate the results as components. You can't get the info into the interactive schedules though--have to use the list schemes for formatting and placing onto layouts.

Thanks for checking the email address. It was a new error message to me...but the forum software has been getting shakey lately...

Cheers,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
So the record deal didn't work out, then?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl. I thought as much. Ah well.

S2art Archicad is a "side project"