BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

First time at importing .xyz file, please help

svpribyl
Booster

I'm trying to import .xyz files. I got a sample text file from my surveyor. I renamed it with a .xyz extension.

It has this kind of data (see attachment). I tried to import it using the interoperability menu, but the file is not recognized and will not import. How do I get the file to import?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 11.23.17 AM.png
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
22 REPLIES 22

I just tried your figures separated by tabs and it worked.

BarryKelly_0-1683167461048.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry,

This is what I typed:

-907.5616(tab)868.0836(tab)100.13(return)
-884.3778(tab)830.5329(tab)98.757(return)
-930.6772(tab)819.05439(tab)1.536(return)
-930.7178(tab)819.0763(tab)91.525

The file type says it's a plain text file. AC will still not open it using the "Import point clouds" command. The file name is still grayed out. Do you think it's some problem with the Mac?
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27

I'm getting closer. Even though I was changing the extension on the file, it was not changing the file type. Changing the file type was accomplished by selecting "get info" on the file and changing the extension in the info box. At least now, ArchiCAD is recognizing the file as a .txt file. 

However, a dialog box opens that says the data is invalid and that the file must have exactly 3-columns of data. I am working on how to do that now.

Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27

The .txt file from the surveyor had too many columns and extraneous data. I copied the data out and pasted it into Numbers, where I was able to then copy only the data that I needed from the columns and rows. Then I pasted it into a TextEdit file. Then I changed the file type to .xyz by editing the extension in the "Get Info" box.

There was a bad data point that corrupted the file, which I fixed manually. Now I'm getting this kind of view in 3d. I have to figure out what to do with the points! I somehow thought the result would be closer to terrain. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 2.57.00 PM.png

Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27

Hi Steve,

Sounds like you have got the text file format sorted now.

Here is the one I created from your 4 points (2 points are very close to each other.

Just with the default Windows Notebook text editor.

I don't think it matters what order the points are in so long as each point has an X, Y & Z coordinate separated by TAB.

The converter add-on will create a mesh and triangulate all of the points.

Be sure to select the correct surveyors unit as you import it.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry,

@Barry Kelly wrote:

The converter add-on will create a mesh and triangulate all of the points.

Is this a different process than described here:  https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-articles/Importing-Point-Clouds-and-Modelling-the-Terrain...?

I don't see how to use the converter add-on.

Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27

Steve,

Use "Place mesh from surveyor's data" command.  You'll get what Barry showed in his screenshot.  This isn't a point cloud.

Hope that helps.

Karl

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Hi Karl, 

Here's the series of steps that I had to take to get this to work on a Mac, in case anyone else is struggling with it:

1. Open surveyor's file (It was labeled .xyz, but it opened in Numbers

2. Copy relevant data by dragging to select and copying

3. Paste into TextEdit using CMD-Option-Shift-V (This is supposed to just paste the data, but I'm not sure if it worked, based on step 6.

4. Change TextEdit file to .txt in the "Get Info" box

5. Open the TextEdit file

6. Delete this misc text at the top, above the three columns of data and the slash at the end of each row, and the } at the end of the data

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 10.34.49 AM.png

7. In Plan view, use the Interoperability -> Place Mesh from Surveyor's Data command

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 10.46.04 AM.png

A piece of cake... Ha!

Thank you for your help!

Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
MW at grounded group
Participant

you .xyz file is in the incorrect format.The .xyz format must contain only the xyz info. you will need to reformat the .xyz information in excel and save as .txt file.

1.  Open the .txt file and select all , copy.

2. Open Excel paste make sure sure the info is in indivual columns. 

3 delete  the first row with the headings. Then delete survey point numbers in the first column by deleting the column and repeat for the last

4 make sure what you have left is three columns each with plain survey data.

5 Save excel as .txt

This article may be helpful:

https://asiabim.wordpress.com/2016/03/15/creating-topography-in-archicad-from-autocad-survey-data/

MW at grounded group
Participant

This video will be very helpful in how to format the data correctly :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1De_sbhXFk

Learn and get certified!