Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

First time at importing .xyz file, please help

svpribyl
Contributor

I'm trying to import .xyz files. I got a sample text file from my surveyor. I renamed it with a .xyz extension.

It has this kind of data (see attachment). I tried to import it using the interoperability menu, but the file is not recognized and will not import. How do I get the file to import?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 11.23.17 AM.png
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 11.7.1
ArchiCAD 26
22 REPLIES 22

MW, that video seems to be a "how to" for using Land4. I am not using Land4.

Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 11.7.1
ArchiCAD 26
svpribyl
Contributor

I hoped I had cracked this issue, but I have not! I had someone check the file that I created and I found out the 3d realization is incorrect. It should have been a simple rectangular site. I haven't had a chance to work on this again, but I am open to any additional suggestions. 

Thanks!

Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 11.7.1
ArchiCAD 26

If you are able to create a mesh from the file, but the mesh is not rectangular, then the points in that file are not just for the rectangular site.

I have tried with files from surveyors in the past, but they also include many points outside of the site boundary, like roads, kerbs, manholes, etc., so you are not getting just the site boundaries and contours as you would expect.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11