Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC Import - Messy homestories

Rogerio M
Contributor

Operating system used: Windows W10 Intel i7-9700 3Ghz 32gB

Hey everyone!

I've been facing a recurring issue when importing IFC files from Revit. While they display correctly in a 3D environment, in the 2D plan view, some walls are appearing with their home story 1 or 2 levels above, with an offset that positions them on upper levels. This makes it very difficult to comprehend the received project and leads to errors.

Additionally, some walls are being converted into objects, altering their representation and rendering them useless in our plans.

We're currently using hotlinks for importing, utilizing the general import translator. Is there something I can adjust in the import translator settings to address these issues? Or should this be fixed in the Revit export process?

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 😊

homestory offset.PNG
Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7-9700 3.0GHz, 32Gb, RTX 2060
Archicad 27 BRA 5003
1 REPLY 1
Marc H
Advisor

Hi Rogelio,

I do not know the cause, but if it helps,  I experienced the same issue a few years back in importing a whole RVT building and F&E content from my consultant.  Certain elements (e.g., specialty ceilings, smoke detectors, some furnishings) were several feet off (anywhere from four to over a dozen feet off story).  For my part, I could not reasonably ask the consultant to diagnose and re-export (NIC).  
As it appeared several of the offset elements were of the same type, this led me to believe it had to do with the authorship in Revit. Perhaps there are differing Z-axis origin points or some setting common to them when they placed in their session.  My resolution for that situation was to select them in groups in the 3d window and edit their story height. It took several hours due to the building size and the extensive content.

Perhaps you can run some smaller trials with your RVT partner using some of the troubled elements and deduce the issue.  It may be a very simple problem.

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

Setup info provided by author