Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing Google earth Terrain Maps

Staf61
Contributor

I am trying to import terrain maps into Archicad 27 but havng scaling issues. I know that in early versions of Archicad, Archicad v.16 ish, there was a direct import link that enabled import from Google earth to Archicad that would bring in a point cloud terrain and create a terrain mesh/model. It appears that in later versions this has been discontinued. I am currently able to import a converted Sketchup model by using a third party converter to .xyz file and it brings in what looks like a perfect terrain model until I check the scale which is massively out. If I resize the import in Archcad it changes the x,y coordinates and not the Z. So I end up with a model that looks like the Alps! Is there any way that I can import an accurate terrain model from Google Earth to Archicad in v.27. I believe that there is a Google Earth Setting in the File, Merge option that imports Google Earth .KMZ files but I can only see to get Google Earth to export .KML files and have been unsuccessful in being able to convert one to the other.

The site I am trying to up load is near 6Km long by approx 700m and is coastal, I have tried CADmapper and it brings the site in as flat with no detail.

Any help would be 

Operating system used: Windows

7 REPLIES 7
mthd
Ace

I am also trying to figure out the scaling issue of importing a 3D terrain from google Sketchup into Archicad 27.

I was hoping to get some rough site levels or contours without visiting the actual site and engaging a surveyor at this stage.

From what I can gauge so far, is that I can import from Google maps, the site and resize it to scale but with no contour levels.

I can get rough spot levels by using google earth and then creating a mesh from scratch.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Yes, this method can be used. Bringing and 2D image in from Google Earth that you have manually placed pins that are named with the relative spot height taken from Google Earth data along with check x and y dimensions and then resizing and applying to a mesh. You then just open the mesh tool and using the pet palette Z command, elevate the point manually on the Archicad mesh. This method works but is very time consuming on a big site, my site is over 5 kilometers long!!!! The terrain import works really well in Sketchup under the Geolocate command but it seems that you cannot export the model to Archicad in way that maintains an accurate Z dimension.

It’s certainly not a big problem with small residential projects to get basic levels and do what you are describing above. 

I am not sure what is available with open source survey maps and if they can be imported to scale with all the height data intact and in the right position ? I think many surveyor would know exactly how to do it.

On larger projects you just need to ask your client to get a proper accurate survey done.

I will keep researching it and see what I can realistically do.

Archicad 16 used to have a direct import from Google Earth link but now will only import .KMZ files which I cannot get to work. Using a converter to .xyz will bring in a Sketchup imported Google Earth mesh and covert to mesh but not to scale and will not scale in 3D ie correct heights. It is a feature that most other CAD packages offer and I feel is lacking in Archicad although there may be a way that I have not discovered yet. We are getting a topo survey carried out but we are in the initial stages of a very large project that is several 1000 miles away and google earth seems to be the best initial option!

mthd
Ace

This apparently is the current workflow procedure by the looks for AC ?

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/Site-Modeling-with-an-Aerial-Photo-Surface-in-ARCHICAD/...

But that doesn’t provide us with an imported 3D terrain that is to scale on plan view.

What are other CAD packages providing ?

Yes I don't have any problem scaling the 2d image it is the 3D terrain in the z axis that is the problem. Sketchup will bring in a terrain and using the sandbox tool or stacked layers you can create a contour or terrain map. Autocad has a directGoogle earth import link.

mthd
Ace

I think this might be the reason why we cant do it accurately in Archicad 27 now. Please watch the first minute of this excellent tutorial by the Colorblind Architect and fellow user of Archicad who explains why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSIUgRJ8UmA

Setup info provided by author