cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Letter to Cadimage

gpowless
Advocate
info@cadimagegroup.com

Hi,

I will not be upgrading Cadimage products. Instead I will be using Archicad native tools to model with.

In short, I find the upgrade price exorbitant and have found the past upgrades cumbersome to integrate into past projects. As Archicad has come a long way in improving their windows and doors, I no longer have a need for third party tools.

Thanks for your help in the past and good luck.

Gregg Powless
Ontario BCIN Designer
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
31 REPLIES 31
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
Same here with Cigraph add-ons.

I used some of them in the past (Architerra and Archistair mainly) but the trouble of updating the parts when upgrading versions and the resulting dependency upon them has persuaded me to stop using third-party add-ons.
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Wokka
Contributor
I must say I agree with the sentiments of the original post, even though I've been an avid user of cadimage products for the last 7-8 years. I can't see anything extra I got for my upgrade that is really relevant to me apart from being R16. As I do Architectural visualisations, the windows/doors and coverings are great to add lots of details, but I'd be thinking twice with the downturn in work in Australia about upgrading. Having said that, Archicad windows and doors, are to me, one of the biggest issue's and problems with the software that I've been using since R4.55. As a contractor and consultant, almost every office I work at has issues with scheduling, ganging, door/window combinations and the general inflexible nature of the ArchiCad objects. At least the door/window tool has a great single interface that is pretty intuitive. It's a pity ArchiCad doesn't allow more screen real estate to manipulate to object.....
Sorry, just my Monday morning rant...
And don't get me started on the curtain wall tool.....
OR the olympics......(doing well GB...)
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Marky
Contributor
Karl wrote:
Jere wrote:
Why not write the letter to CADImage privately rather than posting it publicly on a Graphisoft forum? Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.
I suspect he was trying to get a feel for how many other people feel that Cadimage's upgrade pricing (for no announced new features - only re-compiled with the new SDK) - is on the high side.

I'm surprised no other people have chimed in. I also find the pricing obscene. Having just upgraded their D/W product just a couple of months ago, they now want more than another $100 just to give me the ability to use it with 16. I reported several bugs and missing features, none of which seem to have been fixed. For people who have bought into the Cadimage ecosystem, the total annual update price over all their products just makes no sense for a one or two person firm.

Encina generously provides updates to Objective for no charge; Cigraph provides update to its entire suite (all 18 add-ons) for just 160 euro.

Cheers,
Karl
Ditto.
Marek
AC 6.5, 13 - 19 Pl, OctaneRender for ArchiCAD, MoI 3D, Blender; W7 Pro 64;
i7-4790K/32 GB; GTX 980/4 GB
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi everyone - not hijacking this thread, but I just wanted to pop my head in to let you know that we have seen this and we've heard(read) your comments.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Wokka
Contributor
henrypootel wrote:
Hi everyone - not hijacking this thread, but I just wanted to pop my head in to let you know that we have seen this and we've heard(read) your comments.
Henry, your not hijacking, it's good to see you here. Much better than graphisoft that have selective hearing.. Your comments and feedback would be welcome! Thanks
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Well, my view is that the process of creating and selling something isn't a single event, but is more like the start of a relationship with your customer (yes, I am aware that that sounds really cheesy - bear with me).

At Cadimage, our big focus is on helping our customers to use ArchiCAD as best they can and, by extensions, to 'do Architecture' as best they can. So what we focus on is making sure that our products are comprehensively tested, that we give you support that is not only fast, but that actually helps you improve your workflow, and that we provide a range of help and training resources so that you can keep upgrading your skills.

That's why we spend our time on creating a detailed knowledge base, producing video tutorials, providing support inside of the next business day (often within just an hour or so), and devoting a large proportion of our people to testing our releases before they go out.

The upgrade fee is there pretty much entirely to support our efforts in these other areas but, because they aren’t directly apparent as a result of an upgrade, it seems like we’re asking for money for nothing. You’re not going to find new features in the tools to justify paying for the upgrade though, as we don’t put them in at upgrade time.

For instance, during the course of V15, we incorporated new features to auto-load Presets, we built in support for the Renovation filters in the Coverings tool, we put double-glazing settings to the Doors+Windows tool, and a bunch of other things too.

If all you want is to get the product and then keep using it in it's current state, then that's fine, but we want to keep on improving our products so that we can help you to do your job better.

We could lower or remove the upgrade fee, but to do that, we’d have to stop delivering things that we think are essential to the wellbeing of the Cadimage ecosystem – like great customer support, robust testing, and up to date documentation & training aids.

A simpler way to say it, I guess, is that we'd rather teach you how to fish (or how to fish better), than to just give you a fish and then leave. We're not in it for a quick buck, we're in it for the long haul.

Because we really do think that helping Architects, Designers, and Draughties to do their job better is better for all of us.

Anonymous
Not applicable
henrypootel wrote:
A simpler way to say it, I guess, is that we'd rather teach you how to fish (or how to fish better), than to just give you a fish and then leave. ....
Ah, yes, that famous analogy - "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish... and he'll steal your boat and drink your beer."
Wokka
Contributor
s2art wrote:
henrypootel wrote:
A simpler way to say it, I guess, is that we'd rather teach you how to fish (or how to fish better), than to just give you a fish and then leave. ....
Ah, yes, that famous analogy - "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish... and he'll steal your boat and drink your beer."
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Ha!

Stress Co_
Advisor
henrypootel wrote:
we have seen this and we've heard(read) your comments.
As long as we have your ear......
I've been using D+W since AC10 and have wondered if we'll ever have the option to list doors by their panel size (instead of the rough opening)?
That is to say the Nominal size in AC is the size of the door panel and D+W it's the size of the R.O.
This messes with my AC door schedules.

Also.... the Support Centre is helpfull, but why no user manuals??
Screen shot 2012-08-09 at 11.54.56 PM.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)