Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Looking beyond printed plans

SeaGeoff
Ace
I'd like to spur a dialog about the next generation of publishing, data exchange and collaboration.

On the one hand I fully agree on the need for PM enhancements. In fact, based on the static nature of the requirements placed on a printed CD set, one could argue the possibility of a fully completed PM that would leave little left to improve.

But the BIM paradigm is all about the creation and sharing of a data model that is more sophisticated than anything that can ever be printed. ArchiCAD offers the opportunity to leverage the virtual building model in such a way as to create more value with less effort. But we're stuck between generations, developing elaborate models only to print old fashioned plans.

So what's next? What are users doing now to push the envelope? What new tools does ArchiCAD need to enable a higher level of collaboration? And what new procedures and business models do we as designers need to develop to replace the safety cage we've built by standardizing on a static, 2D publishing model?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
12 REPLIES 12
Erika Epstein
Booster
David wrote:

Now, of course the architect and the fabricators had flatland contract documentation for all this stuff. And there were structural engineers and glazing subcontractors in the mix, as well. But what I thought was cool was that the real work happened in virtual reality and the most critical exchange of information was all digital. The 2d documentation happened in parallel, largely to have a signed legal record of the work.

I quite agree with Geoff, Matthew, Karl and David et al. While paper is not going to go away soon, there already is a better way to communicate our virtual models (BIM) with the fabricators and constructors. David's example above is one and is similar to Ghery's experience with Bilbao and Disney hall. By doing smart virtual models and having the CAD programs talk directly to the fabricator's computer the building process is more accurate and saves money and time.

With ArchiCAD and other 3D programs we are already seeing significant changes in how we work. We have had to think through the construction to a greater extent than previously to make our models. Because of the modeling, much more of our work is done by the end of Design Development. Construction Documents really is now just annotating the model/drawings. On a more nuts and bolts level, some of us are already changing our fee structures to reflect this.

Here in the US Archictects are traditionally taught not to be responsible for quantity take-offs and leave cost estimating to others. This has left us at the mercy of the contactors. I think we should be taking advantage or our program to change this. We can sell our clients on this by better cost control and bottom line project cost by working sooner with the contractors.

With archicad it is hard not to become more of what is here known as design-build companies, even if it just translates into bringing in the contractor much earlier thanwe traditionally have typical for all project types and sizes (finishing CD's and then bidding it out). The publicity of Disney Hall and Bilbao is making even residential clients wonder why we can't control costs more.

I see our task as now applying this methodology to all building sizes and types to revolutionize the building industry.

I would like to see us using ArchiCAD more intelligently and working with the fabricators and contractors to make this happen.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
SeaGeoff
Ace
Great discussion. Good to see a few positive thoughts to balance the cautious ones.

I'd like to move this thread forward and use it bring together some concepts floating about the forum ether.

On the technical side:

I think Karl's right that the groundwork has been laid for interoperability via IFCs and that open standard push-pull hooks are the answer for specialized database queries.

But what of the more immediate issue of improving colaboration right now between design team members, consultants, contractors and clients. Sure DWG or DWF handle some of these situations but I'm talking about sharing the model, the whole enchilada. Clearly we need better Teamwork, more portable files, easier library management and a lightweight viewer. But how does it all fit together?

On the social side:

What kind of new business and legal arrangements are being developed to address the increased exposure that model sharing can bring? How can these be made accessible to the small design firm? Can we get on the plus side and turn this into an advantage rather than an exercise in butt coverage? In short, can we make Dwight happy?

Anyone care to weigh in?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Erika Epstein
Booster
Geoff wrote:
Great discussion. Good to see a few positive thoughts to balance the cautious ones.

What kind of new business and legal arrangements are being developed to address the increased exposure that model sharing can bring? How can these be made accessible to the small design firm? Can we get on the plus side and turn this into an advantage rather than an exercise in butt coverage? In short, can we make Dwight happy?

I think model sharing is just going to have to happen. This point came up yesterday when I went to the Eureka Tower talk yestrday. Graphisoft is sponsoring David Sutherland's road show and I strongly urge everyone to catch it. The project, the presentation, what they did, it was absolutely brilliant! How they used ArchiCAD starting with site analysis, project team set up and to communicate throughout the process encapsulates why the Virtual Building is the way to be practicing.

Back to Model sharing. This is just going to have to happen. We share this information now with consultants in 2D form, why not in 3D? Currently we now spend hours, hundreds of hours in larger projects, crosschecking plans. The computer can do this for us faster and more accurately. Ancillary programs such as Navisworks allow us to do this across platforms and programs.

I see the next hurdle being getting consultants to use 3D programs. From start to finish ArchiCAD allows us to work smarter, better and faster. It also allows us to communicate our ideas so much better when we make use of it. The entire team, including the client, comprehends and communicates better in 3D. The Virtual Building is just a newer and better method of communicating and working.

The accuracy of the Virtual Building saves time and money.
Dwight, we can't live our lives in fear. On the contrary the more we use ArchiCAD and the better we use it the less we have to worry about.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"