Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Schedule for Hips, Ridge, Valley, Gable, Eave...

I am not getting accurate schedules for roofs.

In this example I have two identical roofs systems. One a multi roof and the other has been split into individual roofs.

Notice that the calculations are not all the same.

I did this test because my roof schedules are not reliable or accurate.
They also do not match manual calculations for lengths of hips, valleys, etc...Surface areas I think are ok I haven't manually tested them.

Am I doing something wrong? This example is not nearly so bad as others I am working on.

8-15-2013 1-15-53 AM.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

18 REPLIES 18
Barry Kelly
Steve wrote:
This picture is of another situation where it does not show the length of the eave correctly - see roof 3 - the schedule did not pick up the 10m length.
Sorry Steve I didn't see you latest image when I relied.
Check the edges to see what they are listed as.
I created a multi-plane roof - created a gable and converted to single planes.
This is what I got for the gable end.

This was in 16 though - I don't have 17 loaded on my laptop at the moment.

Maybe your 10m eave is not being treated as an eave because that section has been pushed back behind the original eave line.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
That may be just the trick.

Thanks I either didn't know how to do that or I forgot. That will solve several of my problems with the schedules.

Editing the roof edge to eave fixed the length of eave problem I was having with roof 3. I am happy with ArchiCAD again now.

My incompetence would not have shown up if I were not making this special kind of Roof Surface Plan for a roofing contractor. It is not your typical roof plan that he wants.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

That was the trick Barry.

Editing the roof edges makes the schedules match better.

Still some calculation issues I think. Roof 1 and 6 have the same length of hip. Should the schedule show 1/2 the length for each roof so the total will work out ?

Here's the link to this file:
http://www.hightail.com/download/bWJyV0o1YUlnYU5Yd3NUQw

Barry Kelly
Roof 1 has a little more hip length than roof 6 as it share an extra hip with roof 2.
The schedule is showing half the length.
The hip on roof 1/6 is 11.1 feet on the rake.
The schedule is showing 5.55 feet which is correct.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Just as I thought - turn off the "Show uniform items as a single entry".
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
It's been a while and several versions of the program later , but I am still not getting useful results from the Interactive Schedules for total length of hip, valley, ridge, etc..

This is a version 22 file with the same problems.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyfevb74lwif2yo/ROOF%20SCHEDULE%20TEST.zip?dl=0

I need some way to extact the total lenght of hip, ridge, valley, and eave in to an interactive roof schedule that is useful for the people who use it.

I would like to have each hip, valley, ridge, eave with an ID to match in the Interactive Schedule.
I can do that, but not with roofs.

I'm not sure this is possible. You have shared hips, valleys, and ridges, which double the totals. You would either need to allocate 1/2 of the length to the individual roofs, which will give you more accurate subtotals, but wrong individual cases, or exclude one from each shared pair.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not just model the hips, ridges valley flashings with a complex profile beam and them simply schedule these? I have been modelling flashings, cappings, gutters, box gutters (incl support boards) ever since complex profile beams became available and it really takes next to no time to model but it’s all there in sections elevations 3D views etc much quicker than adding 2d
sboydturner wrote:
Why not just model the hips, ridges valley flashings with a complex profile beam and them simply schedule these? I have been modelling flashings, cappings, gutters, box gutters (incl support boards) ever since complex profile beams became available and it really takes next to no time to model but it’s all there in sections elevations 3D views etc much quicker than adding 2d
I do. But occasionally I am not modeling for the purpose of generating construction documents.
For example, the roof plan I am making this time is for a roofing contractor. The roof plan is for the sake of a re-roof, not a new roof. What he wants in the schedule are the lengths of hips, ridge, valley, eave, and the surface of each roof plane. So a simple roof plan is made based on the county tax assessors building diagram/dimensions on line, + some google earth images, pictures, and owners info about roof pitch an width of soffit. This is enough apparently for an estimate. They can see the roof jacks, chimneys, vents, etc from the google earth and google maps.

In any case, of course there are other ways to get that basic information but it should be something you can get from the roof into a useful Interactive Schedule.

They scout with google earth to find houses with tarps on them, find the address, get the building dimensions/bldg footprint for the tax assessor, determine the roof pitch and eaves and poof - you have a roofing bid you can mail out. Explode the tax assessors .pdf, group the lines you need, make roof settings, use magic wand, schedules automatically populate. Bid goes out - money in the bank! There are all kinds of reasons why models are being made with ArchiCAD that are not all about permit plans.
The same sort of thing can be done for the lawn care business. New driveway business... Drone services business... And all of these translate into really easy work for ArchiCAD users. I can make as much money on this type of quick work as I can on regular projects and they really help to fill down time. I only take on about 4 or 5 large Custom Homes per year now. The rest is a very wide variety of rather unusual use of the program.