Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Schedule "Merge Items" Issue in Archicad v25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our office has a fairly extensive library of custom GSM parts. These include cabinets, doors, windows, etc. Historically, we have issued two schedules by building element: (1) a long list of every single element used in the project (e.g. every door) and (2) a "types" schedule which merges similar elements.

In the past, we the schedule "merge items" button has worked perfectly for this second schedule. We include whatever fields are relevant to merge, then if all the fields match in the schedule the objects are merged (and usually listed by Quantity).

But... in v25 ONLY "core" parameter values are compared for merging. For us this results in wildly dissimilar objects being merged---since our custom parameters are all simply now ignored by this function.

I have spent a few days pondering a work around but am now stuck. The only brute force fix would be to stay on v24, but this is not a sustainable approach. All of the values I am able to change (gruesome workarounds to be sure) are still not recognized as "core" values by Archicad. The least bad v25 workaround I can think of would be forcing our PMs to assign "type" values by hand as PROPERTIES. If properly managed this could force a clean types list. But it seems crazy in 2021 that we would need such a fragile workaround.

Please let me know if I am missing some obvious alternative approach to this new issue.

Thanks, Luke
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
Can you show some images of what you want in 24 and what you are getting in 25?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sure. I made a simple identical object in both v24 and v25. The attached screenshots show the difference in "merge item" behavior between 24 & 25. The "color" parameter is a text field. All our custom objects depend on the v24 type behavior---sorting objects using custom parameters. I am curious if there is a way to trigger this globally (other than not upgrading to v25) or some other "simple" workaround.

Thanks, Luke
Barry Kelly
It definitely looks like the 'Colour' field is being treated differently now in 25.
Why that is I can't say.
Some fields such as 'Length' for example have always done this.
Exactly what field is it that you are using for 'Colour'?

As far as I can see at this stage you have these options.
Stay on 24.
Don't merge.
Or make something Archicad thinks is unique about each item such as different IDs.
Using Properties as you mentioned before.

I think I can say there may be a solution soon in a future update (only because it was mentioned in the Australian release webinar for 25).
You will be able to control individually how the fields merge.
I can't say any more about it, when it will be released or even if it will be released for sure.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry -

To clarify, I just made this super-simple example to pinpoint the issue. Our existing library of objects uses text and integer parameters for all types of polymorphic behavior. So from my perspective, the change to the "Merge Items" behavior in the v25 Scheduler renders the program effectively unusable---as the various "fixes" are all quite contorted.

So far the feedback I have been getting is to stay on 24. I will do this, but it is disappointing that a function that has been working well (for me) for over 15 years would abruptly change behavior w/o some type of "legacy mode" option. Can I suggest this feature for v26? The v25 approach is to only merge "core" parameters---which are not listed anywhere and seem to be designed to discourage custom GDL objects. Ironically, the open-source nature of GDL has historically been one of the most appealing aspects of Archicad---from my perspective at least.

Thanks, Luke
Barry Kelly
I see, so it is an object (text) parameter used in the fields.
I just tested and got the same result as you.
It might be something they have changed in anticipation of the upcoming update - they shouldn't have changed it in my opinion.
You could report it to your local support people so they can fix it in an update.
But I am pretty sure you will have control of this merging in a future update anyway.
Luke wrote:
Can I suggest this feature for v26?
As I said this should be changing in a future 25 update - I can't say for sure it will happen or when it will be though.
So it is probably a good idea to report it to your local support.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry! I have reported it locally (San Francisco) and nationally (Massachusetts). Both parties said this is the new functionality and suggested sticking w/ 24. So I appreciate your optimism that it will be addressed in a future update. Fingers crossed!

Best, Luke
Joskule
Newcomer

I don't know if your issue was resolved, but I have seen this option in the Schedule, where you can choose how the value will display.

I hope that it helps.

Cheers.

Jesus.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 17.16.25.png
mendezarcediego
Booster

Unless I'm wrong, I can confirm that up to this date Graphisoft HAS NOT fixed this. I tried to merge a list of items while maintaining the first parameter as the criteria for main segregation but Archicad 25 simply merges everything regardless of the fact that the parameter has a different value for the items.

NOT Merged – 3 visible values.pngMerged – NO segregation.png
AC26–5002 INT FULL/ Win 11 Pro 22621.1992 / Intel i9-13900KF 24C (8P-16E) 3.00 - 5.80 GHz / 64 GB 5600 MHz DDR5 / Nvidia RTX A4500 20GB, Dual 2560x1440.

I experimented with this a little bit and when I used an internal parameter of a Library Part as a Schedule Field (as I think you have done) it gave me the same results as for you.

However, if I used the Element ID field for the headline, then it gave the correct results. (Maybe the Headline does not even need to be activated so the Element ID and the Subtotal will be in the same row.)

ScheduleMerging.png

So this Merging/Summing combo does not work for some reason with Library Part internal parameters.

I will report this to Graphisoft as I cannot decide if this is intended behavior or a bug.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27