Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

SketchUp for Archicad 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
There was a really great plugin for ArchiCAD 9. Is there one for ArchiCAD 10 yet? I looked all over the Graphisoft website and I cannot find it. My graduate studio at the University of Maryland is actually using ArchiCAD 10 for studio this semester and the Sketch Up plugin would be great.

The semester starts Wednesday. Any chance I it will be released before then?

Thanks for making ArchiCAD 10 free!
50 REPLIES 50
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
We use the sketchup framework to read Sketchup files. This is a kind of interface between the SketchUp file and the Archicad add-on. (our add-on communicates with the framework). There is no Intel Mac SketchUp framework yet, that is why we can not create the Intel Mac add-on.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
__archiben
Booster
gkmethy wrote:
There is no Intel Mac SketchUp framework yet, that is why we can not create the Intel Mac add-on.
ok. you win! never enter an arse-kicking competition with a porcupine, right?
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
gkmethy wrote:
There's no Intel Mac SketchUp, and there is no Intel Mac SketchUp framework that we could use to build an add-on. We'll have to wait till it's released.
---> http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=72351#72351
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
gkmethy wrote:
We use the sketchup framework to read Sketchup files. This is a kind of interface between the SketchUp file and the Archicad add-on. (our add-on communicates with the framework). There is no Intel Mac SketchUp framework yet, that is why we can not create the Intel Mac add-on.
Could I ask for some further clarification on this?

I understand that there is no Intel Mac version of SketchUp, however, there is an Intel Mac version of AC10.

Does this mean that those of us working on the Intel Mac version of AC10 will not be able to import SKP files? Since the plug-in works inside AC10 it seems to me that you should be able to import an SKP regardless of where it was created. It could be the WinXP version of SketchUP. Even if it means that AC10 is converting an SU model under Rosseta and it takes longer.

What would be a work-arround if this is the case? I am looking at Parrallels to run the WinXP version of SU on my Intel Mac. If I install the WinXP version of AC10 in Parallels and import an SKP and then save the AC10 file, I should be able to open it up in the Intel Mac version of AC10, correct?

Can you please clear this point?

Thank you very much,

David.
Thomas Holm
Booster
ddeyarza wrote:
I understand that there is no Intel Mac version of SketchUp, however, there is an Intel Mac version of AC10.
One of the limitations of Apple's Rosetta translation engine (that lets PPC programs run on Intel) is that it doesn't translate PARTS of programs. The whole program has to run in the same environment. This means, among other things, that Archicad 10/PPC plugins, add-ons etc, don't work with Archicad 10/MacIntel. One example that has annoyed some of us is the WIBU licence key verifier.

(And note that it wouldn't help if AC10 was Universal. A Universal program release is just a package which contains two versions, a PPC and an Intel, rolled into one. When you start the program, the O/S decides which one to run depending on processor and on your Finder settings - you can force a Macintel to run the PPC version in Rosetta translation if you like.)

So what Graphisoft tells you is this:
- The Sketchup file reader is built using a framework (a program component) supplied by the Sketchup developer (AtLast-now Google).
- This component isn't available in a Macintel version, and thus won't run natively on a Macintel.
- And because this component doesn't run natively, GS can't build a Sketchup reader plugin for Archicad that runs natively.
- Until then, you will have to use an Archicad version that has the plugin, either the PPC or the Windows version, to translate the Sketchup file to an ARchicad file and save. Archicad/Macintel will be able to read the Archicad file.
- I'd say that if Archicad/Windows runs OK in Parallells, it should do. But if you try to run it simultaneously with Archicad/Macintel, I think there is a risk that you'll find the same problem as those who've tried running Archicad/PPC along with Archicad/Macintel - one of the WIBU key plugins will grab the key and not allow the other to access.
- Running Archicad/windows in BootCamp should work, though, since a restart is required between sessions, releasing the WIBU key.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas,

Thanks for the explanation. I was affraid of that.

It seems that we are always waiting for one or the other to play catch up. Now Maxon came out with Cinema 4D 10 so we'll have to wait for AC10 to interact with IT (I use it instead of MaxonForm).

Hopefuly SU comes out as an IntelMac app and we can have a year or so before we go thru this all over again.

Cheers,

David
Thomas Holm
Booster
ddeyarza wrote:
It seems that we are always waiting for one or the other to play catch up. Now Maxon came out with Cinema 4D 10 so we'll have to wait for AC10 to interact with IT (I use it instead of MaxonForm).
Well, at least there is a workaround. I don't know about AC10/Win + parallells (maybe someone else has tested?) , but at least the AC10/Win + Bootcamp solution should work.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Dennis Lee
Booster
When I goto the download page:
http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/solutions/sketchup.html
and click download, the form with the blanks comes up, but I can't click any of the fields, and internet explorer freezes up. Is this happening only to me? I get the same result from two different computers in my office.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dennis

This was happening to me too. See this thread http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=71486&highlight=sketchup#71486

The link that was posted was direct to the download for the AC9 add-on, I have asked for the same for the AC10 add-on (if its different?) but haven't received one yet.
Dennis Lee
Booster
Stuart, Thank you. After reading the thread, I decided to try Firefox, and got the link. I've tried this on explorer, and it works:

http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/solutions/su_plugin_download.html

Don't know why the explorer hangs on the registration page...I hope I'm not doing something wrong by posting this link, please let me know if I am.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9