Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

SketchUp for Archicad 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
There was a really great plugin for ArchiCAD 9. Is there one for ArchiCAD 10 yet? I looked all over the Graphisoft website and I cannot find it. My graduate studio at the University of Maryland is actually using ArchiCAD 10 for studio this semester and the Sketch Up plugin would be great.

The semester starts Wednesday. Any chance I it will be released before then?

Thanks for making ArchiCAD 10 free!
50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there,
in the same situation myself here, but doesn't seem to attract too much attention on the archicad forums. Maybe it's just me, but I think that Sketchup-to-Archicad 10 import (including sloped walls) is the biggest thing that's happened to archicad since the introduction of sloped walls (which in turn is the biggest thing to happen to archicad, ever). It gives it the potential to be a design tool, as well as merely a project organiser.
If you're interested, see my rant at:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=11436
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a good rant. Hope Graphisoft is paying attention.
You should rather put such wish also on Sketchup forums - as the development of the plug is on Sketchup's side.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast
Good point, but @last may not see this as being as close to the front burner as we do.
Didn't GS have a role in the AC9 version?

Cheers,

Ransom
Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 27
Apple M3 Max + Dell Precision Workstation
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies guys.
About the plugin itself - this is created by archicad (see http://www.sketchup.com/?sid=37 ), pity they didn't buy up sketchup when it was available.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sure, it`s not good, there`s a big ad about sketchup plugin for archicad and then it does not work with the current AC version...

we want SU plugin for AC10!!!

Kisses!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I sent the following to SketchUP:

>Hello,
>
>I am sorry if this is a FAQ. Are you going to
>release an update plugin for Archicad10?
>
>Thank you

I had the following answer:

> Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:54:14 -0600

> Hello,

> I'm afraid I don't know much about the ArchiCAD plugin and future development plans, at it was developed and released by Graphisoft. You can probably fill out this form on their website to find out more information.

> http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/solutions/su_plugin.html

>Jen Kartchner
>SketchUp Team at Google

So, not only ArchiCAD did not purchase SketchUP when it was available, it also has no interaction with them, and there are no signs of an updated plugin for AC10. One more bad action in Graphisoft's black book. Is GS falling apart? Someone should advise them on how to make investments.

Bob
Anonymous
Not applicable
I doubt that GS could have competed with Google for the purchase of SketchUp, so the idea that they missed an opportunity seems silly.

I also don't think that the SketchUp plug-in is that important. I have two clients who use SketchUp in preliminary design phases and we have decided that it is better (and faster) to remodel the design in ArchiCAD than to import it.

For one thing the Project Architect/Principle/Designer does not want the responsibility in the preliminary Sketchup model to be concerned with how it will import to ArchiCAD.

For another it is often (usually in my experience) faster and more accurate to input something from scratch in ArchiCAD than to fix something that isn't quite right.

Finally, my clients and I agree that it is good practice for the ArchiCAD operator to go through the process of modeling the building as this serves to both get it into their head and to turn up problems in the design sooner.
SeaGeoff
Ace
While I generally agree with your conclusions with regard to modeling an entire project, Matthew, I disagree on the importance of the SU plug-in. SU is much simpler and more widely distributed than MaxonForm for component/object modeling (e.g. doors and windows). And with a little added intelligence (e.g. enclosed volumes within a certain range become same sized—not ultra thin—slabs, walls, roofs) I would likely change my mind about structural elements as well.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x