cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Sketchup......really?

rob2218
Enthusiast
I'm starting this thread as an information gathering discussion.
I like sketchup. don't misunderstand me. I don't use it that much...just plucked and picked at it a bit.
But.....really? what's the fascination with it?
I mean...you see these design firms using sketchup...doing some amazing design work...and for what? then you have to THROW IT ALL AWAY cause, well the SKP file is garbage other than a pretty picture....
No converting the sketchup model information to walls, doors, windows..etc...no usable parts or pieces...just ONE GIANT object when translating into Archicad.....so...folks. for those of you who 'LOVE' sketchup...what's the fascination?
I can't see any use to a software where you can't continue the workflow into SD, DD, CD's and beyond? Yeah...I've seen the dude who only uses sketchup to do his CD's....Sonders I think is his name. Nice stuff.....but....that's one in a million....and he even admits that the level of details he puts in his MANY HUGE different SKP files would crash the system if they were all in ONE database file.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
I'm starting this thread as an information gathering discussion.
I like sketchup. don't misunderstand me. I don't use it that much...just plucked and picked at it a bit.
But.....really? what's the fascination with it?
I mean...you see these design firms using sketchup...doing some amazing design work...and for what? then you have to THROW IT ALL AWAY cause, well the SKP file is garbage other than a pretty picture....
I think Archicad has become too complicated for preliminary presentations and engineering data handling and with 12 million SU users they might be onto something
rob2218 wrote:
No converting the sketchup model information to walls, doors, windows..etc...no usable parts or pieces...just ONE GIANT object when translating into Archicad.....so...folks. for those of you who 'LOVE' sketchup...what's the fascination?
The price and the fact that most engineers use it only a few use archicad
rob2218 wrote:
I can't see any use to a software where you can't continue the workflow into SD, DD, CD's and beyond? Yeah...I've seen the dude who only uses sketchup to do his CD's....Sonders I think is his name. Nice stuff.....but....that's one in a million....and he even admits that the level of details he puts in his MANY HUGE different SKP files would crash the system if they were all in ONE database file.
You obviously dont do simulations that hook clients in at the initial stage and then onsite with positional construction at the final stage.
IMO,It's becoming irrelevant with what is used in between for Cds be it, AC,Autocad,bentley,Vws,revit....
rob2218
Enthusiast

You obviously dont do simulations that hook clients in at the initial stage and then onsite with positional construction at the final stage.
IMO,It's becoming irrelevant with what is used in between for Cds be it, AC,Autocad,bentley,Vws,revit....

You are correct, I don't do simulations. I try to "produce" work that can be built from. But I can see where there is a need to "catch" the client at the onset....but....in the end...you have to 'prove' you can actually document AND eventually 'build' that which was done in an eye-candy software.

I've always tried to see how you can streamline the workflow production process from inception (eye candy throw-away) sketchup type 3d to final CD's and eventually to being built that which you dreamed up.


Sorry, I'm a pragmatist with the eye on the end game...not necessarily "just trying to catch the client".

Sketchup is a good tool....for what it does. it's no database though.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
Sorry, I'm a pragmatist with the eye on the end game...not necessarily "just trying to catch the client".

Sketchup is a good tool....for what it does. it's no database though.
You seem to be stuck in the past "eye on the end game..."
we use and do whatever it takes to do the deal with the clients..thats called optimizing the project at the start.
LOL, Eye candy precision Complete CDs data coupled with engineering simulations have come along way HTH
rob2218
Enthusiast
you wanna get into a pissin' match dontcha.....this boy wants to make me angry.

well, enjoy trying sir.
you keep doing your sketching, I'll keep doing what I do.

"no worries" as they say in SoCali!
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Stress Co_
Advisor
rob2218 wrote:
"no worries" as they say in SoCali!
They stole that from the Aussies.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
rob2218
Enthusiast
Awesome...knew them Aussies were a creative bunch...just didn't how much.
Stress wrote:
rob2218 wrote:
"no worries" as they say in SoCali!
They stole that from the Aussies.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
DGSketcher
Legend
Back to the OP... The best thing about Sketchup is it's simple 3D modelling capability which is so easy to use. It completely shames AC's morphs which seem so difficult to edit. I hope GS give the morph editing tools a usability make over soon.

Other than that I have been badly let down by the capabilities of the PRO version which in a team environment are far from PRO.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Karl Ottenstein
Moderator
rob2218 wrote:
you keep doing your sketching, I'll keep doing what I do.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Rob... but you're not an architect, right?

SU is often used for preliminary design and early client interactions, something that may not be part of your job function?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
you wanna get into a pissin' match dontcha.....this boy wants to make me angry.
You have every right to be angry (but not with me) if you think your plot/control is being diminished. But crying "foul" and "Oh woe is me" wont further the Architects and Engineers cause, in the eyes of the client they love simulations and apps.
I hope we dont have to wait too long before we can put up (LOL eye candy) simulations onto the warehouse.
rob2218 wrote:
well, enjoy trying sir.
you keep doing your sketching, I'll keep doing what I do.

"no worries" as they say in SoCali!
I rarely do sketches I analyze, build and work all along the supply chain from design to contracting.Clients,designers,fabricators generally send me skp files and never had ifc.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!