BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Snow Leopard

Erika Epstein
Booster
Just received notification that Snow Leopard is out on Friday.

This will be my first mac OS upgrade and I am wondering what is involved? Do I order it, or wait a month or more? Any tips?

Will I have to upgrade other software?
Go ahead, laugh at the newbie to mac
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
100 REPLIES 100
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
I typically have 3 or 4 open, and it works find. But, a few plns seem to cause a slow down for some reason, or something is going on. Same library, and everything else as my plns are very standardize. Weird.
very weird, are you using the AC13 library & AC12 migration library?
Rick Thompson
Expert
Actually all 12 and before library. I haven't added any new 13 parts to "myaclibrary". It sort of acts like video catching up, but I have no idea. It is like being on a slower computer, not terrible, but noticeable... but in small actions, like dragging.. zooming.. etc
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
, not terrible, but noticeable... but in small actions, like dragging.. zooming.. etc
i agree it really shouldn't happening on a Macpro 2.8, so odd that it only happens on certain ones, not all of them.
aahatimo
Newcomer
any news on the sl front?
have not opened the box yet...
thanks!
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Karl Ottenstein
A Snow Leopard PDF-in-Safari tip that I came across:

I had been frustrated since upgrading to SL that I did not have the Adobe toolbar display within Safari while viewing a PDF file - no save, print, size, page buttons, etc.

Turns out that Adobe's Safari plug-in is only 32-bit, with no word on when they will release the 64-bit plug-in.

To get the Adobe tools back in a Safari PDF view, you have to run Safari in 32 bit mode. Close it, right click the icon in the Applications folder, do a Get Info and click the box to run in 32 bit mode.

Reports are that Safari runs a little slower this way - I can't really tell.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
Karl wrote:
I had been frustrated since upgrading to SL that I did not have the Adobe toolbar display within Safari while viewing a PDF file - no save, print, size, page buttons, etc
I'm amazed that you're using Adobe's plugin in Safari. I find Preview and Apple's plugin (in Leopard) so much faster and more convenient than Adobe's that I only use Adobe when something embedded (like some security tricks) in the PDF requires it.

For example, Adobe Reader (and Adobe Acrobat Pro in CS4) does not recognize the embedded page size of the PDF. I produce most PDFs from Archicad in A3 format. This means that when I want to print one of them from Adobe's apps, I need to use the Page Setup dialog to change paper size (from the default A4) first. Every time!!!

Since Preview reads the embedded original page size, I can print an A4 PDF (produced in Word) or an A3 PDF from Archicad without thinking about page size. It just works!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Karl wrote:
I had been frustrated since upgrading to SL that I did not have the Adobe toolbar display within Safari while viewing a PDF file - no save, print, size, page buttons, etc.
Just echoing Thomas - I've abandoned Adobe's viewer and plugin too, Apple's is far faster, looks better, and is well-featured.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Karl Ottenstein
Ralph wrote:
Karl wrote:
Just echoing Thomas - I've abandoned Adobe's viewer and plugin too, Apple's is far faster, looks better, and is well-featured.
I guess I'm missing something. If I disable Adobe's plug-in, then the PDF just appears in Safari without any navigation buttons, Save-to-disk option, sizing (page width, full page), content search, etc. .... How do I get either get all of that capability inside Safari with a Preview plug-in, or get Safari to launch Preview from the cached PDF? Did not know it was possible, but sounds like it is?

Thanks!
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Karl wrote:
If I disable Adobe's plug-in, then the PDF just appears in Safari without any navigation buttons, Save-to-disk option, sizing (page width, full page), content search, etc. .... How do I get either get all of that capability inside Safari with a Preview plug-in, or get Safari to launch Preview from the cached PDF? Did not know it was possible, but sounds like it is?
There are many ways to get to these functions:
  • - Save from the File menu;
    - Zoom In, Zoom Out, etc from the View menu;
    - Page options and opening in Preview by right-clicking (see image);
    - Mousing over the bottom-centre area of the PDF reveals buttons to open in Preview, download, Zoom In, Zoom Out (see image).
Once open in preview, you have the (optional) table of contents in the sidebar, and PDF annotation tools.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Ralph. That's what I already had seen, but thought there was more based on your and Thomas' posts. I prefer the Adobe inline funcitonality without having to right-click and open.

Thanks though!
Karl
Learn and get certified!