Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Stair Schedule

RandyC
Advocate
Has anyone been able to make a stair schedule ?
Floor plan has 5 different stairs configurations, no railings
The 2d section preview is empty
The 2d plan preveiw shows only 1 stair and does not reflect the other configs.
The 3d Axonometry shows a straight stair with a landing in the middle (none of the stairs look like this)
and of course I cannot get the run and rise to show in fractional inches.

Thanks, Randy
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
6 REPLIES 6
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear RandyC,

Unfortunately this is just a limitation of Scheduling in ARCHICAD. These previews (as the name suggests) are just showing you a "sample" of the element, not a snapshot of the actual 3D entity. This is true for every element, eg. if you do the same with walls, you will just see a standard shaped block (with the correct composites and surfaces), not a wall with it's actual dimensions. The reason some previews (like the section) are empty, is because in the sense of these "sampling previews" it can't really be defined well for stairs, so stairs don't have such a preview (section is mainly for walls and beams).

The shape of the actual placed elements can be represented through Floor Plan Views, Sections, 3D documents, etc., not in schedules. I think the best solution for you would be to make the Views you want of these stairs in different Viewpoints, and place them as drawings on the same layout as the schedule.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
RandyC
Advocate
Thank you for the explanation.
Randy
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's too bad that you can't schedule stairs in new versions of Archicad anymore. I've just come across this problem and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong until I read this thread. That's a shame.

Especially when it was doable in version 20 for example - using 3D Front View. See below an example from one of my older projects.

I think it was much more convenient than creating lots of partial sections and Views, that you need to create manually, have them in separate layer, etc.
mbl wrote:
It's too bad that you can't schedule stairs in new versions of Archicad anymore. I've just come across this problem and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong until I read this thread. That's a shame.

Especially when it was doable in version 20 for example - using 3D Front View. See below an example from one of my older projects.
The fallout from the new stairs and railing tool goes beyond stairs and railings as you're finding out. I dread having to create a stair (or a rail for that matter). I know a user who uses the old stair tool in AC20, then converts it to morphs on a copy of the stairs, and then hotlinks the v20 file into place in his v22 file.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Barry Kelly
I am not going to get into the whole stair debate (I quite like the new ones ).
But why does our colleague convert them to a morph?
The old stairs will convert to an standard object which will at least allow you to edit some of the stair parameters still, though not change their shape.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry wrote:
I am not going to get into the whole stair debate (I quite like the new ones ).
But why does our colleague convert them to a morph?
The old stairs will convert to an standard object which will at least allow you to edit some of the stair parameters still, though not change their shape.

Barry.
Yeah, he's just paranoid about linking issues if it's a library part and maybe conversion hiccups going between machines and colleagues when saving down to lower ArchiCAD versions (not all of his office is current and have mixed versions). Morphs are native elements and are always in the file, but is also linked to the hot linked file for editing.

Me, I just accept it as it is, with a little complaining obviously. But he does hotel and commercial building design with stair towers and had enough of the stair tool's complex editing.

As for the Stair and Rail tool, I can appreciate the level of sophistication they have for stair and rail creation, but there is a point of diminishing returns I feel when you need something basic. The old stair tool interface worked great and didn't have a dozen tabs and settings to jump to to make tweaks here and there. I think a "simple" or "detailed" interface toggle would be great.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System