cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Zones for rooms AND zones for apartments?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I'm struggling with zones in an apartment block:

I need zones for each room. OK, done. I can schedule these and get subtotals by apartment. Good. But now, and that's where I'm stuck, I need to show each apartment's total area on the plan.

I know two solutions:

If all walls (interior walls included) are set as "limits", it's easy to get the zones for each room. Then, I draw a polygonal zone for the total area, but the "limit" walls won't subtract from the polygonal zones.

A second solution is to set interior walls as "reduce only". I can make my total area with an automatic zone: interior walls are subtracted. But that means I have to manually draw a polygonal zone for each room. When apartments change in layout, zones won't follow. I then need to track down every change. Mistakes are hard to a avoid...

So finally my question, is there a better way to do both? Zones for rooms AND zones for apartments? If not, is it possible to show a scheduled subtotal on a plan?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Benjamin,
I typically use the polygon method for apartment area zones with a visible edge in heavy contrasting and dashed line because I cannot get any zone definition to match what is required for area plans in Aust (some walls centreline, others outside face others inside face) and have to manually check before updating and issuing area schedule or plan
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the response.

Using your strategy, how do you get interior walls to subtract from the polygonal zone? I did the test again and in the case of polygonal zones, walls set as a "limit" will not subtract.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not need to subtract areas of interior walls from apartment area, apartment area.
In Australia the apartment area used for titling and sales is measured according to the Propert Council of Australia Method of Measurement. Which for apartments is to the exterior face of exterior walls, centreline of common walls, exterior face of common wall to corridors and includes all ducts, risers, structure etc less than 1m2 individually
Scott
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Benjaminmeyer wrote:
Thanks for the response.

Using your strategy, how do you get interior walls to subtract from the polygonal zone? I did the test again and in the case of polygonal zones, walls set as a "limit" will not subtract.
You will have to subtract these elements from the polygonal zone.

A different approach: copy all existing room zones, change their layer and category to something to reflect your Total Area wish. If they are all the same layer and category, make a schedule for this layer and category. You can let the schedule add up all the similar items. This is how we make large total area schedules. Often the zones don't even touch, unless you are counting the door openings, so it's not possible to have it be one big zone.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is exactly what I've been doing. I can get a total per apartment like this. Except now I need to show these totals on my floor plan. So I don't see how I can avoid having an area for each room AND an area for each apartment.

Well actually, the way I can think of would be to paste bits of the schedule on the layouts containing the plan. But that sounds like nuisance.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We just used coloured floorplans, sometimes with vectorial hatches on top to show sub-divisions of the zoning types.

I've got no problems with permits here in NL using this method, but France might be different, no experience there
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5