BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

database for details

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am thinking of finally switching to archicad from autocad and was wondering what archicad users have used to build and maintain databases of their details. Is there a program like AutoLIB for archicad?

No one I know who uses archicad has built a database like this and I have not found anything like this searching the forum (or google).

It would be really helpful if anyone knows of a AutoLIB type database that I could use for both archicad and autocad without having to convert files etc., but even if it is just for archicad I will be happy.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
pc or mac? here's a related thread.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the link. I am using a PC. It sounds like ScrapIt Pro X is what I am looking for, but that is for mac. The discussions on managing the details within archicad are interesting - I will have to wait to see if something like that will work for me. It does sound really tedious though. I would prefer to just have seperate files for each detail and be able to pick, plot, copy, paste, link, or whatever, any detail I want without so much hassle.

I'll have to research ScrapIt and see if there is something like this for PC.

Thanks again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
WB, the link you posted was very helpful, but I don't think any of those methods will accomplish what I need to do.

I am still not able to find what I am looking for. Does anyone know if there is an application like AutoLib or ScrapIt Pro X that is compatible with windows and archicad?

There has to be something that can database details for archicad with previews and is searchable, printable (in book form), etc.

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
mark,

you might want to consider leaving all of your details in dwg / dxf platform as a standard, and use the solutions out there organizing them.

personally, I have used Columbus www.oasys-software.com/product/dm/columbus/ . It works well for previewing, catalog-ing, searching out.... but you don't have the need to open another 'heavy' application like ACAD or Archicad. And Archicad imports (once you get the concept) 2d files so nicely, it might not be necessary to ever have these files in anything but dxf/dwg files, anyway.

Once I got my head around the concept that DXF/DWGs are a good tool to use WITH Archicad versus INSTEAD of, I found they could actually work together. DXF/DWG's are just lousy when it comes to parametrics.
Learn and get certified!