cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

dwg-dxf translator usage for dummies!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, please forgive the stupid questions, I'm venturing into an area I haven't looked at before!

My overall aim is to import an Ordnance Survey site plan onto an ArchiCAD worksheet. It is simple 2d data and it comes in a dxf format with a ton of unwanted layers.

What I'd like to achieve is to automatically put all the lines on the same layer, map the five different AutoCAD pens into my existing penset in a different position and change the text to Century Gothic font.

Is this something that the dwg-dxf translator will do for me when configured properly?

If so, can anyone give any pointers as to what to look at exactly! I have studied the help files but it's not making a lot of sense yet. If I'm taking the wrong approach completely, how should I be doing it?

Many thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think the translator will be able to achieve all the desired modifications in one shot but don't worry - there a quick and easy way to get where you want to be.

I'd start in a new file. I'd place the .dwg using the drawing tool making sure that the scale is first set to match the scale for which the .dwg is drawn. Then explode the drawing into the current view.

Assigning all the drawing elements to the layer of your choice can be done in one step using the 'Layer:Edit Selection Set Dialog Box' command that appears in the Info Box.

Next Select all the text and change the font. This can be done in one step by first making the text tool active then 'select all'. Then simply change the font in the info box.

Next, since you only have 5 pen assignments to adjust, I'd simply use the 'find and select' dialog box to select all elements of a given pen weight and change it to the desired pen weight. (If you wanted you could have created a pen assignment translator and merged the .dwg back in the first step - but because there are only 5 pens to deal with here I bet it would take longer to set up the translator than it would to reassign them one by one)

Finally, copy and paste the result into your plan file. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply Dom,

The process you suggest is pretty much the route I take anyway. I was just hoping to introduce some automation, as it's exactly the same for every new project. It might have been a bit of a labour saver!
Thomas Holm
Booster
Dom wrote:
...(If you wanted you could have created a pen assignment translator and merged the .dwg back in the first step - but because there are only 5 pens to deal with here I bet it would take longer to set up the translator than it would to reassign them one by one)....
Please note:
If you want to create a pen mapping translator, (which you might want to do if you're undertaking this operation more than once because then it will save time)

Start by modifying the pen mapping table in a COPY of the Keep Pen Index Number translator, and then set that as your default translator.

Then use the File Special > Merge command OR the External Content > Attach Xref command to get the DWG into your floor plan. During the process, check that you have your modified translator selected.

Note that if you use the File > Open or the Place External Drawing command (of which the latter is identical to dragging the dwg into your floor plan), the pen mapping WILL NOT WORK despite that you've selected your modified translator!
Bug reported
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1