Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC15 / Modelling

Anonymous
Not applicable
So now we know ArchiCAD 15 and 16 are to do with modelling, similar to the way 13 and 14 were centred around teamwork.

This will be interesting to watch, as the implementation will affect whether solo users see this as “yet another update for the big end of town”, or whether it has a general benefit to the usability of the program, and therefore is beneficial to all users.

I’ve long held the view that the 3D engine in ArchiCAD is archaic and in need of urgent overhaul. Not only is it slow, but the ability to create complex objects is limited to GDL scripting, and then there is the whole disconnect between the 3d model and 2d view. Specific complaints might include:
• Single threaded processing (AC needs to maximise use of mainstream multicore CPUs)
• Main accessibility via GDL scripting irrelevant to majority of users (AC needs a good GUI for modelling - urgently).
• Buggy SEOs that magically affect a 3D view without modifying the 2D view. (AC needs a robust modelling toolbox including nurb type shapes, with reliable transformations, that are graphically apparent in the final object).
• Complex model elements do not relate to the ArchiCAD toolset. (Creating complex walls etc still need to behave as walls and be able to receive doors and windows etc - think complex profiles on steroids. One of significant flaws in GS last attempt, the Maxonform add-on, was the way “intelligent’ objects lost their properties and became part of a dumb amorphous mass – and so could not be scheduled, dimensioned etc.).
• Inability to set up relationships between objects

Observations of the pace of development and resources available at GS suggest that they are struggling to keep up with the competition. Two years of AC updates were consumed implementing and fixing Teamwork, and we understand at least 3-4 years development preceded that. Other parts of the program have slipped into irrelevancy (e.g. Lightworks– though fortunately one can get around that with a plethora of capable renderers).

Nemescheck as a group has committed to IFCs for interoperability and so we see both GS and Vectorworks (VW) committing to that standard. Returning to the topic of modelling, VW have embraced Siemens Parametric technology going forward. In an ideal world I would hope GS could also embrace such – not only offering a terrific boost to AC, but also strengthening the Nemescheck group through a far more powerful interoperability than IFCs offer. We shall wait and see what unfolds next year….
Interested to hear what other users have to say on the topic....
54 REPLIES 54
Anonymous
Not applicable
rwallis wrote:
So now we know ArchiCAD 15 and 16 are to do with modelling, similar to the way 13 and 14 were centred around teamwork.
Where/how did you find out that they are focusing on modelling?
Anonymous
Not applicable
apparently it was disclosed at the user group meeting here in Melbourne the other week, by none other than the GS CEO...an unusual step for GS!
vistasp
Advisor
rwallis wrote:
That's good news. Being a solo practitioner I skipped 14 but, if the modelling tools get upgraded, so might my AC version.
rwallis wrote:
apparently it was disclosed at the user group meeting here in Melbourne the other week, by none other than the GS CEO...an unusual step for GS!
That's even better news. GS often looks like a black box to ordinary users.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
JaredBanks
Mentor
Can someone who was there share a little more info with the rest of us?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
I saw this pic in this topic from june this year:

Anonymous
Not applicable
rwallis wrote:
Does anyone know what was actually said?
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Thanks for the info.

There was apparently a presentationin Sydney as well...! ( i was afraid that ArchiCad15 would be only subject to interface changes 😉...
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very good news because Archicad must resist to Revit - offensive marketing force with Real Quality Tools . Ease of modeling is crucial for arhitecture solution . Please provide more details rumors about this.
Great. Now I will be able to do blob-itecture. Why is this useful?

I would be far happier with an interior elevation tool that actually worked properly. Or integrated framing that worked properly in accordance with U.S. framing standards. Or a calculate menu that was useful and understandable. Or...
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10