Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Bug?

Hmooslechner
Rockstar

Even, if there are technical reasons for that "misbehavior" by converting an GDL to morph, for me - "it's a bug". What do You think oft this?

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein

Seems like a bug.  Could it be related to the fact that Archicad has always had a difficult time doing proper UV mapping of textures?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Lingwisyer
Guru

I assume in GDL the texture is getting mapped per face? Once exploded to a morph, it reverts to a single UV map and even if you redefine each face, you are stuck with a single texture origin for the entire morph. Unless this was fixed since AC17, this also occurs with other primitives that you explode... Had a curved roof that changed pitch along it's length that when exploded to a morph became impossible to read strips of the same small portion of the original texture...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly

Maybe when you converted it to a morph, the lids on the bins opened and all the rubbish fell out? 🤔

Seriously though I don't know.

Obviously to do with mapping of textures.

But I have no idea what you could do to fix it (other than amending the surface colour to each plane of the morph).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Hmooslechner
Rockstar

The imported object as GDL obviously maps one single complex map with all the pictures on it to each surface with extra insertion-coordinates and angles for this single picture. You can look at this picture in the imported library. 

By converting the GDL to Morph, it looses this extra coordinates and simply puts this complex image without extra coordinates on each face - so this random surface appeares.

But - in Archicad - its manually possible to apply the insertion-point and angle for each texture , so the Data-structure in the Program itself must be there. Its just not implemented at exploding GDL to Morph. (dokumentation - rendering - set 3D-origin)

But in this case - such a complex picture cant not be set for each triangle per hand - you have no chance to find the right place for it. 

So - Archicad should just copy the right texture-origin-coordinates and angles from the GDL to the Morph-faces automatically. 

Its just laziness of the programmers in my opinion.. 😇

Lingwisyer
Guru

Could you texture map back in AC16 when the tool was first introduced? One of the many tools that needs a rework...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Benjamin Dani
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us!
Checking the video, I think this error needs deeper investigation. 

I would like to ask you to contact your local support by describing them the issue in detail, showing them this video and sending them all the necessary files (the GDL source file, an Archicad file in .pla format, etc.).
Please mention which Archicad version and which update you are using and if you experienced this problem in previous Archicad versions. 

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Dani Benjamin
Technical Support Engineer

in the Youtube-Video-description, You find a drobox-link with the file. as here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kulx9np9f7pgcom/GDL_to_Morph-bug.pln?dl=0