Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom Profile Wall intersection with Composite Wall Problem

Stress Co_
Advisor
See attached.
I can't figure out why my composite wall extends
beyond it's intersection.

It's effected by the sill plate in the Custom Profile foundation wall.

I've messed with Building Material priorities, but having no luck.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
marc
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
8 REPLIES 8
DGSketcher
Legend
I had this recently, took me ages to work it out as the results are almost random. Your problem will if I recall correctly be caused by overlapping the complex walls. It's not immediately obvious that this is the issue but once I squared of the top of my walls the problem stopped. The solution isn't ideal if you are trying to create an interlocking elemental / modular assembly but for now that was the only fix I could find.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Erich
Contributor
It is a problem that Graphisoft is aware of. When I first ran into it GS North America said to look at altering the junction order of the walls. I found that doing so helps sort of. You do end up chasing the issue around a building quite a bit however.

Other ways I have used to fix the issue include SEO, convert to morph, patches, etc. None really acceptable.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I had a problem like this before, I solved with the layers intersections priority number. You could try that also. Make a different layer for each wall and make each one with different intersection number. Also if possible I would use the beam tool to make the complex profile (not sure if that will work but I'll try it)
Stress Co_
Advisor
I think I've got it sorted.
Changing the "Junction Order" cleaned up the Composite wall in 3D...
but messed up the 2D wall junctions of the Custom Profile.

I cleaned that up by changing the priority number of the Custom Profile's Layer.

Haven't had time to see if it changed any PBC's in my sections.

Thank you all.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
lukegolesh
Participant
arqrivas wrote:
Hi, I had a problem like this before, I solved with the layers intersections priority number. You could try that also. Make a different layer for each wall and make each one with different intersection number. Also if possible I would use the beam tool to make the complex profile (not sure if that will work but I'll try it)
To me, this is the simplest and best solution. I don't know about you all, but as soon as I start changing the intersection number, I start chasing my tail and get problems later. This is simple/ clean/ works well, thanks so much! Note, it is best/ easiest to change the layer intersection number through "Attribute Manager" so that you can change it for all of the view layer combinations at the same time.
Archicad 24
macOS Catalina Version 10.15.5
Macbook Pro - 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
lukegolesh
Participant
lukegolesh wrote:
arqrivas wrote:
To me, this is the simplest and best solution. I don't know about you all, but as soon as I start changing the intersection number, I start chasing my tail and get problems later. This is simple/ clean/ works well, thanks so much! Note, it is best/ easiest to change the layer intersection number through "Attribute Manager" so that you can change it for all of the view layer combinations at the same time.
It has already been alluded to, but what I meant to say was that changing the *"junction order" is problematic, but grouping each floor's walls on a layer and then changing the layer intersection number to be different from each other works well. (And best to do this through Attribute Manager).
Archicad 24
macOS Catalina Version 10.15.5
Macbook Pro - 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Podolsky
Ace
I might say, that problem here initially in the way how it been modelled. Complex profile represents concrete and wood on top as one element. And this is wrong. Concrete is poured on one stage and wooden sole plate in installed on top later - as part of the wall. It's probably wise to separate those elements. The wooden sole plate in reality is part on the wall, that goes on top of the concrete. That means you can have another complex profile for the wall that includes the wood in it, or model wooden element separately.
Technically why that glitch is happening - because of intersection of concrete foundation (complex profile wall) and upper wall reference lines. Notice that upper wall and lower wall are overlapping and not sitting on top of each other.
So, make your model clear from overlapping on z axis, separate concrete from wood.
Anonymous
Not applicable
From time to time I get this issue too. I found that sometimes if you invert the problematic wall direction it will fix this.
Hope this helps.